Rampage II Gene memory settings problem

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've been using the system in my sig, and recently upgraded from my loaner 8800gts to a 4870x2. I've been very pleased with the performance, but have run into an interesting issue.

It seems any time I make any manual adjustment to my DRAM voltage, the system will fail to initialize display output on POST. To clarify, the system does POST, as i can confirm with the lcd module included with the board. I can even hear it play the startup sound as it loads windows.

Here's the kicker, though. If i leave the voltage to auto it can startup just fine with settings it will not work with if manually configured.

For example, at 1600 MHZ, the auto setting for the DRAM voltage runs at 1.8v (high i know). I bumped my cpu voltage to 1.3 to keep it in a safe range. As far as i can tell, it can run stable at that speed (no errors in prime95 blend). However, if i manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.8, i run into the posting problems.

As a side note, adjusting cas timings appears to have no impact on this scenario.

Anyone out there run into anything like this?

The modules I am running are these

try 1 stick at a time in the second slot, see if maybe 1 is bad.

try running xmp settings in bios and see if that nets you anything.

all of the sticks have been independantly tested at several different speeds, and at different voltages through automatic voltage selection, problem only occurs with manual voltage selection.

all of the sticks have been independantly tested at several different speeds, and at different voltages through automatic voltage selection, problem only occurs with manual voltage selection.

very odd. Try running the RAM using XMP settings.

very odd. Try running the RAM using XMP settings.

well, thanks for your efforts in tryin to help me out, but I have to admit, I was being a noob. I was adjusting the QPI/DRAM voltage instead of the DRAM bus voltage. Memory works fine at the advertised 1866 9-9-9-28 1.65v now.

I can't believe i didn't catch that all this time :(

Will continue overclocking after i get home from work today. Thanks for all your wasted time though :D

well, thanks for your efforts in tryin to help me out, but I have to admit, I was being a noob. I was adjusting the QPI/DRAM voltage instead of the DRAM bus voltage. Memory works fine at the advertised 1866 9-9-9-28 1.65v now.

I can't believe i didn't catch that all this time :(

Will continue overclocking after i get home from work today. Thanks for all your wasted time though :D

You are welcome. Better it be a noob error than defective hardware.

Back