Ram timings help/general overclocking (p4c800e dlx)

Heath

Weaksauce
First off I am working on overclocking, but seeing as I don't know how to for sure. I have been taking it slow. I'll try to include as much information as possible.

P4 [email protected] currently 1.6v, 200mhz fsb
Asus P4c800e-deluxe
Kingston HyperX PC3500 1gb (2x512mb)
Thermalright sp94, 92mm zalman fan

ok ram timings from Kingston say 2.5-3-3-7
I had it at 2.5-3-3-8 changed it to what they said and sisoftware sandra memory benchmark increased a little. Then some how when changing something in the bios it went to 2.5-3-3-6 I ran a test before changing it back.
2.5-3-3-6 = Int Buff 4843MB/s, Float Buff. 4855MB/s
2.5-3-3-7 = Int Buff 4558MB/s, Float Buff. 4555MB/s
Voltages are at auto.. not sure what voltage its running at.
Obviously the 6 is faster... but is that better? I mean they recommend 7 right? Should I keep it at 7 while I over clock the cpu?

Bottom line. How should I overclock? Start working with my cpu overclock then mess with ram?

Any advice, comments, questions will help so thank you. I'm sure I forgot somethng haha :p

I have a similar setup to you. Just run the best timings possible with the RAM. I currently have my ram at 2-2-2-6. Kingston rates the RAM at 3-4-4-7. I currently have my FSB at 231. That puts my processor at 3.0 with the 1:1 ratio. No errors or heating problems. I could go further with the overclocks but don't really need/want to.
How should I overclock? Start working with my cpu overclock then mess with ram?
Up the FSB. Overclocking is easy if you know what you are doing and what everything means. Read up some more or post if you have questions.

CMB - Thanks. I'm probably going to mess with it today. Just installed new case fans and a controller yesterday. So now my temps can drop even lower :p

Back