ram question

xdviper

Gawd
my cousin had a dell dimension 8200, it uses rambus ram, it is a 800mhz ram. he has a total of 512 ram with 2 256mb sticks. he has four slots on the mobo for ram. he also has these 2 sticks that dont have any ram chips on them. its just a plain stick and it just writes dell and on the top it writes 28OHM. and it also writes L 3 G , G L 5
what the hells is it?
can he run the computer without them? he thinks they dummies and they have a speical function thats suppports the rambus. what does it do? and why do you need them?

28 ohms is a reference to resistance. If I remember correctly, the Rambus RAM will not function without them in place.

I'm sure someone else can elaborate, I just dont remember.

From the Hard|OCP P4T533 Review

When the P4 rolled out with a 400Mhz data bus, Intel wanted to find RAM that would match the bandwidth of the P4 bus. The solution was Dual Channel RAMBUS which used two RIMMs to double the bandwidth to 3.2GB/sec which matched the P4’s FSB. With Dual Channel RAMBUS there are two channels on the motherboard, channel A and channel B. There are 2 RIMM slots per channel. However, in order for dual channel to work you have to have at least one RIMM in each channel; therefore it has to be installed in pairs. Those RIMM slots not occupied by a RIMM need to have a CRIMM installed. A CRIMM is basically a pass through module that is needed so that the signal can pass through all the RIMM slots from the beginning of channel A (and B) to the end of channel A (and B) with the terminators being on the motherboard itself.

You need them to for the RAM to work.

Back