Ram Question

XeRo_Dark

Gawd
aight im in the process of putting togather a new 64 system. I need to buy some new ram since i "accidently" stepped on my 2 sticks of pc3200. I baught a new mo-bo (gigabyte K8Npro) anyone else running that board or know whats the fastest memory it will support? i was thinking of ither getting 2 sticks of 512 pc3500 or pc4000 depending on if the board will support it. also where can i get some good corsair memory cheap like latency of 2-3-2-6 1T or somethin close to that... any suggestions would help

Your not going to find PC3700+ that can run 2-3-2-5. PC4000 uses Hynix chips and is meant for high bandwidth and not tight timings. I would suggest something from Mushkin or Corsair in the PC3200 or PC3500 flavor. The Mushkin PC3200 lvl 1 is really good stuff.

Corsair did just come out with that new XL memory. From the many reviews that are out it shows that yea you can not only kick the shit out of other ddr 400 memory but you can OC it up to ddr 500 and then kick the shit out of ddr 500 memory. Also they are claiming it works in "all" mobo's.

But there is a nice premium cost on those XL sticks. Are you looking to OC your cpu? And also how much do you plan on spending? Answering these questions will help people to give you good answers and help you to make a much more happier decision I think

At what timings DemonDiablo? What memory chips does it use? I've seen the reviews but havn't read them. It would have to have some new type of memory chips on them because even BH-5 has a hard time overclocking to 250Mhz with its timings loose and a very high voltage.

The best thing I can suggest XeRo would be to see what you can find through NewEgg. The seem to have about the best prices out there. They have some Corsair PC3500 for $141 when they're in stock and they advertise 2-3-3-7 1T timings. They also have some 1GB dual packs from OCZ and Mushkin for $245 and $275 respectively. The Mushkin is running a half tick quicker timings at 2-3-3 as opposed to 2.5-3-3 for the OCZ.

burningrave101 said:
At what timings DemonDiablo? What memory chips does it use? I've seen the reviews but havn't read them. It would have to have some new type of memory chips on them because even BH-5 has a hard time overclocking to 250Mhz with its timings loose and a very high voltage.

It seems these Corsair XMS XL modules use exclusive RAM chips. Samsung chips at 4 nanoseconds.

In the review I read, the chips ran at DDR500 speeds with timings of 2.5-3-3-6.

Referenced from Legit Reviews.
http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/corsairxl/

Current prices from Newegg: $180 for the 512 stick of Corsair XMS XL; $357 for the 1 GB stick.

i think im probably gonna go with corsair but do u think my board will support it, this is for another pc of mine gonna use the same type of mo-bo as the 1 im using now gigabyte k8n pro anyone else out there use gigabyte?

XeRo_Dark said:
i think im probably gonna go with corsair but do u think my board will support it, this is for another pc of mine gonna use the same type of mo-bo as the 1 im using now gigabyte k8n pro anyone else out there use gigabyte?

I use Gigabyte and i think their the best but i dont have anything from AMD running in them.

I dont think you'll have any problem getting the Corsair to work in your mobo. If you do all you have to do is RMA. Its pretty simple.

burningrave101 said:

Sorry for the late response but Legion Hardware has a quick review of the new XL memory. They were able to run this pc3200 memory at pc4000 ddr speeds by loosening up the timings from 2-2-2-5 1T to a 2.5-3-3-6. And as for the memory i dunno but hell its Corsair they are like a tier 1 memory manufacture who are always on the forefront of it all :cool:

XeRo_Dark said:

Check out the Gigabyte forums real quick and that should answer your questions. I doubt however that Gigabyte would have any problems running memory from companies like Corsair, Kingston, basically any reliable memory makers.

Back