RAM + Overclocking???

xraider5

n00b
i currently have a 2.4C and a stick of 512 pc2700. i KNOW for a fact that my motherboard can support overclocking...i mean its a gigabyte it even comes with software promoting it. however, i can't even overclock 5mhz with my machine. my cpu cooler is fine, and i dont think its a psu issue...

if i got a stick of pc3200 ram, and replaced my current stick, would i be able to overclock? because i know that if i put it in with my current stick itll only run at 2700. which is better, a gig running at 2700, or one 3200 stick?

PC2700 is pretty bad. You really should at the least be doing 133x2 rather than 100x2... Can your board handle more? If so, do not hesitate to get better ram...

Anyway, don't forget that unless you have an option to lock them, the AGP and PCI will both overclock too when you raise the FSB. Many cards just can't handle that. I would assume especially really old things though I don't know for sure since my system handled quite a lot. I think it's usually the AGP that's the problem though. If you don't have them set to lock at their normal speeds, then you'd better.

Oh, and I had PC3200 (that's DDR400) memory in my old system which couldn't do better than DDR266. I got the FSB up to 155, but got instability, however, not due to the ram. I was able to get it up to 145 and hold stable after a lot of testing. Heck, the 155 would boot up and begin to run things. Not bad for a board that absolutely could not lock the AGP or PCI when overclocking the FSB. So having good ram seems to make quite a difference, yes. Probably if you manage to eliminate the other weakpoints, the ram would have to be the weakest area. Of course, are you sure your CPU isn't running hot or just picky? The Athlon 1800+ I used to have would absolutely NOT go over 1650MHz or so. Until I unlocked the thing, it was just a giant pain in the rear to get any real overclocking out of my system. I know P4s are a different breed entirely, but, you never know, right?

Back