Cherry Dude

Weaksauce
Hi there!

I’m very close to ordering the parts for my lovely new build. Going with a 6700k and a ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING (QVL). I might fool around with a little overclocking, but being a mini-ITX the heat is going to limit this (Max height of RAM is 52 mm by the way). Primarily use will be gaming, with a little photo and video editing on the side.

It’s been a while since I last build a system, and back then I did not pay that much attention to RAM. Therefore, I turn to your collective superior minds. Please assume I am uniquely moronic with all things RAM, that way we should avoid any confusion.

Been looking at Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2133 DC 32GB (CMK32GX4M2A2133C13 - for some reason I can't find it on Corsairs own webpage, so here is partpicker), but then saw someone having problems with Corsair, some saying the MHz is too low and therefore a waste and so on and so on…

So more concrete:
  • Which MHz should I aim for with the 6700k and ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING?

• Any brand and model recommendations?

higher speed kits help cpu limited games performance a lot in some cases more than overclocking the cpu but without the heat problems
F4-3000C15D-32GVR $170
that is the highest supported kit on that mb going by the qvl but thats no guarantee it will work out of the box just by loading xmp it may need some extra vtt or possibly even the speed dropped a little

I've used Gskill DDR4 in 2 builds and very happy with the price/performance/oc'ing of the kits I got

G.Skill is good. I run 3733mhz Tridents myself, 2x8gb. They dropped in and semi set XMP with no issues. The larger the sticks and the higher the quantity raises the difficulty for the imc, just keep that in mind.

btw both my gskill kits oc'd decent
my 2x8gb PC3000 kit goes to 3200mhz although I had to drop Cas to 16 to get there
the 2x16gb PC2400 kit goes to 2570ish mhz, although I run it at 2538 day to day. This kit I kept at default timings of 15-15-15-x etc.... They might go higher but I'm so out of the oc scene I'm not that up on the voltages and settings, so I just noob around in bios a bit and catch the low hanging fruit.

Back