RAID suggestions for 500GB+ media servers (HTPC front end)

darw_n

[H]ard|Gawd
just finished ripping my last CD to highest quality variable bitrate MP3, resulting in a 478GB library, and that does not include my video and games, or even my vinyl record collection (rare and large).

the BIG problem is that I didn't think ahead and I did this all on a RAID0 array, which does not make me sleep well at night.

I obviously want a protected/hot swapable array for my media server, while remaining a relatively easy build, and not becoming an insane expense.

any ideas?

plus its going to be accessed by 3 other PC's, a fourt which is a HTPC, and soulseek (a P2P prog) on a wide open cable line, along with whoever taps into my wifi hotspot in my area.

lets avoid talk about network however issues for this forum, i want specific advice on RAID solutions, i want redundancy, but ease, and not 20 harddrives in a rack if possible...

notes on motherboards and memory ideas would be great too

thanks to any good words!!

The network side is what will drive the load on the disk array. You need to have some good usage estimates on those clients, get the network setup to serve that (be it a single 10/100 nic, multiport 10/100, or gigabit), and then think about the right controller and drives to handle that. With space requirements like yours definitely do not sit there and think you can build a RAID array for less than a $1000, I'm going to estimate you will spend more around $1500-2000 for the space you desire. The actual computer housing such an array could probably be an old desktop with a P2 and 512MB of memory. However, if you go gigabit and buy a decent RAID5 controller, consider a server board with PCI-X (64-bit/66MHz PCI). Fileservers don't use much CPU power unless they run other daemons or encrypted filesystems, so seriously, do not waste cash on horsepower not related to disk/network I/O.

I am in cleveland also and thinking about selling my dual p3 1ghz server, which would be overkill but hey, it [H] right?

For the storage front I would go with an LSI 6 port SATA raid controller and go with 250gb drives in raid 5. That would be ~1.15 TB after formatting and such and would be great with everything you need. Of course the drives are going to be the most costly item but if you keep an eye out on the hotdeals page you can find some great deals on large harddrives.

I am in the process in getting some SATA drives for my new fileserver.
I have decided on the new Seagate 200GB 7200 rpm drives and they are only $170 each over at newegg.

You could go with a 3ware 4 port SATA raid 5 card. its like 300 bucks but its worth it. You could get 4x200+gb SATA drives and it would be golden. That would give you 600gb and not have to have some huge case to handle all the drives.. .Hell even a Antec SKL3700AMB ( I think thats the model ) has 5 hard drive bays and 120mm in and 120mm out and a 350watt ps for 66 bucks at new egg.

3ware

I just did this with a 4 port Adaptec SATA PCI Raid card..

A 4 Tray SuperMicro SATA Raid Drive cage (hot swap, takes up 3 5.25 in bays)

4 WD 250gb SATA 7200rpm drives for storage in Raid 5

You'll need a DEEP case to fit the SuperMicro drive cage though...

bought everything at newegg btw

double edit

Avoid the 3ware, the Promise and LSI card like the plague...

been there done that...the 3Ware at least works..but the performance leaves alot to be desired.

if you're going to go the route of enclosures, see if you can find one with delayed spinup support. it will decidedly lower the amount of amps your PSU needs to put out on startup.

Back