RAID Boot Dilemma

mInk3nine

Weaksauce
As someone on these forums once said, "If it's not broken, break it", I guess i decided to do just that last night. I ran CHKDSK on my RAID 0, and it came up with this:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

I tried running the /F command as well as /R /X, but that didn't seem to do anything. I decided to reformat the array. i cloned the array to my backup drive. After deleting the partition on "C:\RAID" and reformatting, it changed "D:\BACKUP" to "C:\BACKUP", and after deciding to install a fresh version of windows, it assigned the RAID array as K: (2 optical drives, 4-in-1 card reader taking up the other letters).

Not only that, but when windows boots it see's two versions of windows xp to boot from. Thinking that everything would be OK by unplugging the Cloned Backup Drive, and trying to boot off the RAID, I get an Insert System Disk Boot Error. I plugged the drive back in, booted from the RAID and went into Disk Management. C:\BACKUP is displayed as the System Disk, and K:\RAID is displayed as the Boot Disk. (And if I were to boot off of my Backup, it would display C:\BACKUP as the System, and D:\RAID is neither Boot nor System)

Sorry for making you guys read so much, now for the question. If I were to clone my freshly installed, tweaked, 200+ more PCmarked Windows XP installation on RAID 0 to my backup drive, would I be screwed? Would i not be able to boot into windows? Or would that fix my problem? I don't know what to do. As for my other question about CHKDSK, is that a normal msg for RAID arrays?

EDIT: After re-reading this post numerous times, I suppose I could just reformat the RAID again with the BACKUP unplugged, assigning the new install on the RAID to C:\, but I want to use that as a last resort. I want to keep all the tweaks and settings i've been applying for the past 4 hours.

Back