RAID 5 - WD red 4TB x5 speed - external

darkhorse

Gawd
At work I just received a DAT Optic eBOX-TeSUF 5 bay raid enclosure with eSata, USB, firewire thunderbolt and USB3(through included esata->USB3 adapter). We populated it with 5 4TB WD red drives and are using it in a raid 5 setup formatted for mac (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)).

Right now I am using it on an older Mac Pro with firewire 800 but also have done some quick tests on my macbook pro with thunderbolt and usb3. Using black magic disk speed test on thunderbolt gave me write speeds varying from around 160MB/s to 200MB/s and read speeds from 200-230MB/s. Using the included esata->usb 3 adapter on my macbook yields similar speeds.

Do these numbers make sense for a 5 drive WD red RAID 5?

Note all the interfaces actually run through the esata first on this unit, you have to bridge 2 esata ports on the back for thunderbolt to work as well there is a different port you have to bridge to instead if you want usb2 or firewire.

Unfortunately, their site doesn't mention what processor the box uses, but from their benchmarks posted (depending on drives used) you should see ~200MB/s R/W +/- 10%. These seem to match the numbers you are seeing.

Back