RagE Theater

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
Hopefully, starting this thread will get others to also make new threads aside from the gallery posts.

Anyhow, more than two years ago, I started to create a HTPC. It was a new concept at the time, so I figured I would build the HTPC to end all HTPCs. :rolleyes: Ak. All my high end parts refused to work together and in the end (years later), I ended up with two seperate machines.

The HTPC itself is:
P4 @ 3.02GHz
1G Corsair XMS
Gigabyte Titan4 (865 chipset)
Radeon 9700AIW
Terratec Space sound
80G SATA Barracuda
all enclosed in a CoolerMaster ATC 610-GX1 "Desktop-style" case.

htpcguts1.jpg

htpcguts2.jpg

While I was getting the damned thing to work, I was also buying and building the Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-Z1 Receiver

rxz1beer2.jpg

rxziback.jpg

Mirage Omni 260 fronts

rt8.jpg

rt9.jpg

Mirage Omni CC front and rear centers

rt10.jpg

rt11.jpg

Mirage Omni FX surround and front effects

ht fx.jpg

ht fx nkd.jpg

rt7.jpg

rt13.jpg

Mirage OM200 subwoofer

ht om200.jpg

JVC 36" iART HDTV (CRT)

I installed the stereo components, HTPC and XBOX in a Middle Atlantic SRSR sliding rail rack inside my wall unit. This thing is really slick. It pulls out from the wall unit and then rotates 45 degrees so you can work behind.

rt3.jpg

rt1.jpg

rt2.jpg

Normally, I would never zip tie my stereo cables. However, since everthing is seperate here, cleaning up the cabling is not a problem

rt4.jpg

The rack is quite heavy so I added a huge 1/4" plate as a counterweight/washer to the inside of the wall unit. Even still (with the ~300lb weight of the TV) I pull it out slowly.

rt12.jpg

Each individual component has its own shelf with a custom laser-cut annodized aluminum bezel. Finally, an annodized aluminum trim strip went on to cover up the mounting screws.

rt5.jpg

Components (bottom to top):
Yamaha RX-Z1 Receiver
Blank 2U spacer
XBOX
HTPC
Denon DVD-910 Progressive Scan DVD player
(these last three are sitting on an open shelf due to their limited lifespan)
Sony CDP-C910 CD Changer
JVC HR-53800U S-VHS
XpressVu 2700 Sat Receiver

rt6.jpg

All this is connected via 100Mbit to the TeraByte Server in the basement (2.53G P4, 512M RDRAM). All the music and movies are safely (RAID5) stored here.

svr2.jpg

svr3.jpg

First, the obvious... "Your system kicks ass!"

No wait... that's Rodney's line. ;)

How about "Those are some of the most amazing speakers I have ever seen!!!" In all seriousness, those are tweaters hanging over midranges, are they not? Wild looking, but if they sound good... ;)

Meanwhile, your server in the basement is impressive. I wanted to build my latest drive enclosure with Vantec fan-cooled HD racks, but in the end I simply made sure the cooling for the case was sufficent and it seems to work well. Anyone know if I can monitor the HD temps of EIDE drives that are spanned and connected to my PC with EIDE to SATA converters? :D

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the great work! PS... get a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 from New Egg or Directron if you haven't already. It and the new remotes are pretty sweet!

P.S. Did anyone else notice the hard drive temperatures seem to go up as you look at the LCD displays in the enclosure? Would love to know if the top is really the highest, and what all their temps are. :cool:

The only reason I haven't done something like that can be shown with a small international symbol....

$

Nice work!

wow.....you got skillz...that receiver is the granddaddy of mine...i love the yamaha, the sound is incredible.

MERKMAN said:
How about "Those are some of the most amazing speakers I have ever seen!!!" In all seriousness, those are tweaters hanging over midranges, are they not? Wild looking, but if they sound good... ;)
Sadly, that's a car stereo design, not high end audio design. Causes lots of distortion to the tweeter.

I like the AV rack though, makes maintenance easier.

Heh. I have a similar setup though not quite as grand.

HTPC: AMD Barton 2500+, 512MB PC3200, Shuttle MN31N nForce2 motherboard, 30GB system drive, 120GB onsystem storage drive, 4x/2.4x/16x DVD-RW. All compressed into a mATX case...custom modded with very quiet 120mm fans (CPU cooler uses low profile 80mm fan).
Receiver: Kenwood VR-7080
Sat: Hughes HDVR2 DirectTV TIVO (upgraded to 120GB HDD)
DVD: Pioneer Progressive scan DVD Player.
TV: Cheap RCA 27" TV. It takes S-Video in right now....but I'm upgrading to HDTV 36" widescreen here shortly when I have the $$$ again.

Custom made speakers ( http://www.speakerbuilder.net/ I built the "Veritas" for my mains and the "PeeCreek" for surrounds.).

I also have the raid array in the basement....doesn't everyone? (mine is only 1/2 terrabyte right now...need to expand as space is getting tight again).

Wow nice system PS :) Now I can't wait to show everyone my completely opposite system. I opted to do an incredibly low end system made with junk and garbage compared to yours. :p

:cool: :cool:

:eek: Super sweet setup. That's just incredible and makes me so jealous...

Oh, and grats on the front page pimpage.

What are you using for RAID on the server? I would guess the Windows software RAID 5 as hardware RAID 5 wouldn't be cheap (either $600 for the RAID controller and $150 each for 200G for SATA, or $700 each for 147G drives and $300 for the controller for SCSI)

If you're streaming video, how is the performance? 100Mb should probably be sufficient but gigabit isn't too expensive to upgrade (~$150 including 2 adapters and 5-port gigabit switch).

Pyromaneyakk said:
What are you using for RAID on the server? I would guess the Windows software RAID 5 as hardware RAID 5 wouldn't be cheap (either $600 for the RAID controller and $150 each for 200G for SATA, or $700 each for 147G drives and $300 for the controller for SCSI)

If you're streaming video, how is the performance? 100Mb should probably be sufficient but gigabit isn't too expensive to upgrade (~$150 including 2 adapters and 5-port gigabit switch).
Check the links.
http://www.pheatonforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1287&highlight=
http://www.houseofrage.com/server.html

Pyromaneyakk said:

The server has a Promise Supertrac:

strac.jpg

The 100Mbit is fine so far. I haven't tried multiple vid streams yet.

vthee said:
maybe i missed something but how are you guys connecting the htpc to the tv? are you doing it via component? s-video or dvi?

i have a Grand wega 3 and they dont have the standard 720 res... mine is 788... dvi to the GW3 is a pain... i was wondering if s video would look good?

thanks.

Yes, component video. I'm set at 720P

vthee said:
where is this guide... i've been researching this problem with my GW3 on avsforum... for some reason i cant get the timings correct...

thanks for the suggestion.

Hate to be a pessimist, but why such a small tv when ya threw so much money at all of this?

I'd figure a nice front projector or even a plasma would go along more with what you have.

It was so beautiful I fell to my knees and cried...
This puts my entire life to shame! Props to your uber leetness.

intercollector said:
Hate to be a pessimist, but why such a small tv when ya threw so much money at all of this?

I'd figure a nice front projector or even a plasma would go along more with what you have.

1) I do not like plasmas
2) There is too much light polution in the living room for any kind of projection TV
3) Nothing larger will fit in the wall unit
4) That is as big a CRT as you can get and it has a perfect image no matter where you sit in the room
5) It is by no means a small TV! 300 lbs! It tried to crush me when I originally put the home theater in

PS-RagE said:
1) I do not like plasmas
2) There is too much light polution in the living room for any kind of projection TV
3) Nothing larger will fit in the wall unit
4) That is as big a CRT as you can get and it has a perfect image no matter where you sit in the room
5) It is by no means a small TV! 300 lbs! It tried to crush me when I originally put the home theater in
Awsome system.... CRT can get realy realy heavy. What front end are you running on it?

Rage - what OS, front end, and/or software are you running on your HTPC? How do you control it?

Great system BTW.

That is all I have to say. Wow. When I get a place of my own, I hope to even afford something similar. :(

Z3Px said:
Thats increadible. Where did you get that rack?

Middle Atlantic is a line one of my suppliers carrys so I bought it from me. I give myself pretty good deals ;)

nomar said:
Rage - what OS, front end, and/or software are you running on your HTPC? How do you control it?

Great system BTW.

The OS is XP Pro. I use PowerDVD to play the VOBs (control O to access the server). For music, I use MusicMatch. No front end yet. May never be one - dunno.

Control is with Logitech® Cordless MX™ Duo

I don't really have an opinion about the computer, but I totally approve of the rest of the HT :D . I too have Yamaha receivers driving speakers from the Canadian based Mirage/Energy company. And only us with the high end Yamaha receivers get the pleasure of having Front Effect/Presence speakers which make the front sound field so much richer.

Wow.. sweetness...

I have to also disagree with the person who doesn't like the Mirage speakers... Personally, I will never be able to afford a pair, but I have never heard anything sound bad from them. A few years ago a few of their lowest end models could be a little thin, but they were designed to be used with subs, not as a stand alone pair.

Anyway, great looking setup mate. Maybe if I start saving now... Nah, screw it.. I'd be like 90 and unable to hear or see anything clearly by that point. :(

I don't mean to rain on anybodys parade but... Why no HDTV? ANd although i totally think your system rules , is a widescreen even gonna fit in there? Like i said, not meaning to be a bastardhole , i just don't understand why you would have such kickass everything else and then have a 4:3 tv.

That is a HDTV. Note where I said above that I was running in 720P.

very very nice work man.....

not only this but the truck on ur webpage too

as for the people saying you need a bigger tv the tv looks big enough for the room it is sitting it from the angle of pics

very nice work you have alot of toyw to play with looks like fun

I would've died doing all that cable work... You did an EXCELLENT job keeping it nice and neat

:eek: *BOING* :eek:

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

LB :D

What DVD case storage is that? Looks greeat and I'm in the market for somethign to hold 400 dvds. Im reffering to the black shelf thingy to the right of your tv.

THANKS!

Great system!

Ps. fix the ceiling drywall seam!! :)

Back