radiator quality

wayne

2[H]4U
is there a diffference in different models of radiators?... meaning is there a change of difference? or do they all cool pretty decently?

anyhow, what do you guys think of this radiator?
http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/120mmradiator.html

please post what you know about that radiator or what you think of it in terms of cooling well/crappy.... please post fast because i might buy it tonight since its onsale at xoxide

comments/opinions please..

thanks

it should be alright. it looks to be decently built. use 2 fans on it tho.

but if you've got more space, go for a dual-120mm heatercore. definitely. if you've got tools and are in the mood for modding, go to your local autozone and pick up a '77 pontiac bonneville w/ ac heatercore for 17.99 plus tax. then go to the watercooling stickies section on OC FAQ and look at the weapon mod heatercore sticky. use it. profit:D

forums.ocfaq.com

i'm checking to make sure i've got the right site. i'll edit to clarify when i finish (damned 56k)

edit: damn i was wrong:(
here's the right link

ForeverUnknown, thanks for the link, i appreciate that... but im looking for a budget watercooling system so i ll try to get the things onsale

rogue_jedi, thanks for the info, i ll check my local autozone

i dont wanna spend too much on watercooling cus as of now, i m very poor... i m still somewhat a newbie to it too... i have a kinda dumb question... what are barbs and shrouds?

thanks

wayne said:
ForeverUnknown, thanks for the link, i appreciate that... but im looking for a budget watercooling system so i ll try to get the things onsale

i dont wanna spend too much on watercooling cus as of now, i m very poor... i m still somewhat a newbie to it too... i have a kinda dumb question... what are barbs and shrouds?

thanks

barbs are those silve jobbies you see sticking out of one end of the rad they are what the hose slides over to make your loop....think of them as adapters so to speak...

and shrouds more or less are a "box" that elevates the fan above the face of the rad as to eleiminate the dead air spot under the bub of the fan and to also help with air flow...if I remember right had something to do with turbulence or some junk :p

wayne said:

thanks

arent they almost the same price though? xoxide says 29 and the dtek is 34. dtek also has a non color one for a little cheaper

ForeverUnknown: the xoxide one was on sale when he posted, probably $10 off or something.

but with the DIY heatercore, the heatercore itself should only cost about $25-$30 witht the barbs and the shroud. if you don't have taps, tho... forget it;) taps aren't cheap. you can easily pay $45 for a few of them. at that point a prebuilt one would be better (or pay someone on the forums a bit to do it for you, i think 2Fresh is selling ones about like this for a decent price, and some other people could do it too)

good luck whatever you decide tho.

Rucku§ said:
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp

I'm sorry for being a n00b, but what are "taps"

taps are like a drill bit with threads put on them....you drill a hole into something and you "screw" a tap into that hole and it cuts threads into the walls of that hole you drilled...you know threads...the little spiral shits on a screw....well once a hole is tapped you can screw anythign down to it provided you used the right hole size and thread size....Ive got a full tap kit here at the house standard thread,metric,npt and a ton more the setup alone cost a friggin arm and a leg.
you should see the drill bits :)
how often do you see a 3/8in or 1/2in chuck drill drive a 1,1.5 and 2in bit :D

I would suggest checking out oil coolers on ebay. They can be found dirt cheap over their retail cost and many of them have threaded inlets. Not to mention the size and shape variety is much better than heatercores. I picked up a B&M oil cooler with threaded outlets for 19 bucks shipped and threaded nylon barbs for 1/2" ID fit perfectly. No customizing was necessary and it had mounting tabs on the sides. Heater cores perform a little bit better, but the advantages are worth the slight performance difference IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7908895027&category=46095&sspagename=WDVW

c6_1.JPG

c2_1_b.JPG

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
cgrant26 said:
I would suggest checking out oil coolers on ebay. They can be found dirt cheap over their retail cost and many of them have threaded inlets. Not to mention the size and shape variety is much better than heatercores. I picked up a B&M oil cooler with threaded outlets for 19 bucks shipped and threaded nylon barbs for 1/2" ID fit perfectly. No customizing was necessary and it had mounting tabs on the sides. Heater cores perform a little bit better, but the advantages are worth the slight performance difference IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7908895027&category=46095&sspagename=WDVW

c6_1.JPG

c2_1_b.JPG
what exactly is an oil cooler for and how does it differ from a car radiator?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
an oil cooler is a mini-radiator for oil. It will work with any fluid, which is why it is being recommended to you. The main difference is it's size, namely a heater core has more cooling surface area and can contain more fluid (well, some) than a transmission or oil cooler. The fact that the heater core is denser (with regards to cooling performance to overall volume) makes it easier to mount inside a case and deliver excellent cooling performance.

Back