Radiator fans

5GHZ+

n00b
I'm rebuilding a rig and i need radiator fans, and 16 of those :)

So price is a concern, i'm building on a corsair 900D and obvious choice would be the SP120 PWM but in my country they cost more than a Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

Any reason to choose the corsair fans over the noctua other than looks?

where do you live? check for Cooler master Jetflo and BeQuiet Silent Wings I would pick 2 of those before noctua and I was a big noctua lover. CM Jetflo are now my fans of choice for everything specially radiators for their versatility and Silent Wings 2 for uber quiet builds.

yes there is a difference, but its dependent on your needs. I watercool for silence and looks. So having good static pressure fans allow me to run them slower to achieve the same cooling. It helps if they look nice too. lol. Any fan will work fine, but may just need more rpms to keep things where you want them.

so to me, its worth a couple bucks more, but nothing extreme.

I have a build with 9 SP120 fans and they are not the best fans in the world....they are really cheesy compared with my noctuas, they aren`t the PWM version but i only paid 25€ for a 2 pack, the PWM are 40€ for the pack or 20€ a pop...i find that completely insane for such low quality fans. I know the SP120 would look cool on my 900D but i know for a fact that the noctua fan is a lot better.

I can get EKWB EK-Vardar F2-120 1450RPM for 15€ but they look like they are made of cheap plastic from the 90´s :)

"i'm building something that needs 16 fans" lol @ price concerns.

I have been running nothing but Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon 1850's in my rig and love'em. They are fantastic on radiators as the have great static pressure and low noise and are rock solid reliable... But they certainly don't come cheap at around $20 a pop.

I have a build with 9 SP120 fans and they are not the best fans in the world....they are really cheesy compared with my noctuas, they aren`t the PWM version but i only paid 25€ for a 2 pack, the PWM are 40€ for the pack or 20€ a pop...i find that completely insane for such low quality fans. I know the SP120 would look cool on my 900D but i know for a fact that the noctua fan is a lot better.

I can get EKWB EK-Vardar F2-120 1450RPM for 15€ but they look like they are made of cheap plastic from the 90´s :)

Eh you'll quickly fall in love once you actually try the EK Vardar fans or the Gentle Typhoons as the above poster pointed out. Noctua fans aren't that hot in reality as rad fans.

I have SP120 LED on my 360 in push/pull, and they get loud over 1000 rpm, and at 1450 rpm they're unbeareably loud. In contrast, the Gentle Typhoon AP-14 I have on my 240 in push/pull, I can't hear a thing below 1100 rpm, and even at 1450 rpm they just produce a gentle humming sound.

Martin explains why static pressure and air flow stats don't really mean much without actual on radiator testing.

Last edited:
And EK Vardar for 140mm fans, since there's no 140mm GT available.

Would say Wing Boost 2's been been trying to find static Pressure stats on them for a why, soon much air flow and low sound, saw a report of 1.9 mmH20 for the 120mm version... unsure

Darkside PWM Gentle Typhoons.

Tsumi are those a remake or what? they are as good as the original scythe model?. I have about ~15 of the original models still sealed for future rigs. everytime I have to open one of those I almost cry :p best radiator fans ever made..

Tsumi are those a remake or what? they are as good as the original scythe model?. I have about ~15 of the original models still sealed for future rigs. everytime I have to open one of those I almost cry :p best radiator fans ever made..
They're genuine Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoons. In full black and PWM for the 1850 RPM version.

They're genuine Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoons. In full black and PWM for the 1850 RPM version.

I mean, they are as good as the original Scythe model? if the original scythe GT are discontinued, did Nidec Servo acquired the rights to produce it or what?. anyway this is great knew if they are as good as the original scythe, almost no reason to recommend other fans for radiator.

I mean, they are as good as the original Scythe model? if the original scythe GT are discontinued, did Nidec Servo acquired the rights to produce it or what?. anyway this is great knew if they are as good as the original scythe, almost no reason to recommend other fans for radiator.
Nidec Servo always had the rights to produce the Gentle Typhoons, Scythe just had a business deal to sell it under their name, but that deal fell apart. Scythe did not produce any Gentle Typhoons.

Having used 16x Vardar F3s, 16x Gentle Typhoon AP60s, and now 16x Vardar ERs, I will say:

Gentle Typhoons were the quietest and their sound signature made them feel even quieter and sound a bit like a quiet/lower pitched hair dryer. Only thing is the bearing noise was too annoying for me.
Vardar F3s didn't have any annoying bearing noise but they were louder. Sound signature was like air being whooshed.
Vardar ERs have some annoying squealing to them that seems to be on all of my fans but is only noticeable with more than 4 on at a time.

As far as quality, I had 0 issues with the GTs. 3 of my F3s needed RMA due to being much louder than the other fans. 2 of my ERs need RMA because of being much louder than the other fans. I'm done with EK products tbh, just have too many QC issues. Already got 20 140mm Phanteks on the way since they were only ~$13 each shipped.

Nidec Servo always had the rights to produce the Gentle Typhoons, Scythe just had a business deal to sell it under their name, but that deal fell apart. Scythe did not produce any Gentle Typhoons.

I see, Thanks Tsumi as always.

The Darkside PWM GTs are Dazmode's own in-house customized version of the original GTs. Some of the original GTs actually did use PWM capable motors and left a blank PWM lead that you could solder a wire on and DIY it to a PWM fan.

Having used 16x Vardar F3s, 16x Gentle Typhoon AP60s, and now 16x Vardar ERs, I will say:

Gentle Typhoons were the quietest and their sound signature made them feel even quieter and sound a bit like a quiet/lower pitched hair dryer. Only thing is the bearing noise was too annoying for me.
Vardar F3s didn't have any annoying bearing noise but they were louder. Sound signature was like air being whooshed.
Vardar ERs have some annoying squealing to them that seems to be on all of my fans but is only noticeable with more than 4 on at a time.

As far as quality, I had 0 issues with the GTs. 3 of my F3s needed RMA due to being much louder than the other fans. 2 of my ERs need RMA because of being much louder than the other fans. I'm done with EK products tbh, just have too many QC issues. Already got 20 140mm Phanteks on the way since they were only ~$13 each shipped.

Did you catch the early batch of Vardar fans with confirmed QC issues by any chance?

But yeah I do agree EK's quality is slipping these days, yet another black mark in addition to how they handled the nickel plating issue years ago. This is pretty much why I never recommend EK to anybody unless they're the only player in town (fullcover GPU blocks for non-ref cards), or have a distinct edge over competitors' products (XE rads). Thus far the only EK components in my loop are the GPU block and the XE 240 rad. Might add some Vardar fans later (already have 2x F4-120ER) but we'll see.

The Darkside PWM GTs are Dazmode's own in-house customized version of the original GTs. Some of the original GTs actually did use PWM capable motors and left a blank PWM lead that you could solder a wire on and DIY it to a PWM fan.

Did you catch the early batch of Vardar fans with confirmed QC issues by any chance?

But yeah I do agree EK's quality is slipping these days, yet another black mark in addition to how they handled the nickel plating issue years ago. This is pretty much why I never recommend EK to anybody unless they're the only player in town (fullcover GPU blocks for non-ref cards), or have a distinct edge over competitors' products (XE rads). Thus far the only EK components in my loop are the GPU block and the XE 240 rad. Might add some Vardar fans later (already have 2x F4-120ER) but we'll see.

All my rad fans are 120s which have no known recalls. Fuck it though, done with EK fans. Already got the hookup on 140s:

http://i.imgur.com/XMiaSrc.jpg

Even so, the XE rads have had QC issues. Their reference blocks seem fine, same with their pumps, tops, and reservoirs but I wouldn't buy any more of their fans. Going to try to stick to Watercool from now on.

I went with cougar it's sexy and silent.
I had to buy around 22X 140mm and 8X 120mm.

I recently upgraded my loop and really struggled with the rad fan purchase. I just could not rap my head around spending upwards of 30 bucks a fan for gentle typhoons or noctua etc. Even corsairs were 25 bucks each. I eventually came across a youtube test comparing xspc xinruillians with gentle typhoons, the performance was comparable. For 60 bucks I got 11 black matching fans for my loop. They are quiet, do the job and are simply black. May not look as flashy as Riings or some such but look just as good as gentle typhoons. I would recomend paying the 5-6 bucks a fan for those, you'll be happy.

If you're looking for cheap fans that just work decently well, Yate Loons are the typical choice.

I have 9 140 mm XSPC xirilliuns(sp?) for my MO-RA3-420 rad and they do well. However, my Gentle Typhoon AP15 120mm fans are really solid on my 3 480 rads. BTW you can still buy the AP15 for $19.99 per fan from cooler dude guys. I actually bought most of mine used and paid @$10 per fan which I think is worth it.

Im a HUGE fan of the Thermaltake Riing fans. They're extremely quiet, and look great as well!

Seconded on Riings. Dumb name, cool looking high pressure fan I can barely hear (4x 140 white in my case). Often on sale at Fry's, if you are on the west coast.

Indeed. I also really like the anti-vibration rubber "bushings" on the flanges.

I have 9 140 mm XSPC xirilliuns(sp?) for my MO-RA3-420 rad and they do well. However, my Gentle Typhoon AP15 120mm fans are really solid on my 3 480 rads. BTW you can still buy the AP15 for $19.99 per fan from cooler dude guys. I actually bought most of mine used and paid @$10 per fan which I think is worth it.

Nice! I just got my MO-RA3 420 a few days ago. Hooked up 18x Phanteks to it. Got a pretty damn good deal from Newegg:

upload_2016-3-5_14-56-48.png

Going to ditch the Enthoo Primo and go back to my 750D and just run the external rad. Thing is so quiet.

Im a HUGE fan of the Thermaltake Riing fans. They're extremely quiet, and look great as well!

Their performance is nothing special though: http://i.imgur.com/k1HM55M.jpg Thermaltake Riing 12 LED 120mm fan but they look awesome.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-5_14-59-0.png
    upload_2016-3-5_14-59-0.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 44

Darkside 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoons are $20 each, and add PWM and black blades.

Coolerguys sell 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoons at $20 each as well, with PWM.

Back