Radiator bolts for slim fans?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
I have the arctic p12 slim 120 fans but I need the shorter bolts that screw into them since the standard rad bolts are way to long and the fans don't come with shorter rad bolts. Anyone know where I can buy some?
Thanks in advance.

Ace hardware carries one of the best assortments of odd ball bolts and screws. Whenever I need shorter/longer screws for an off the wall project they are my one stop supplier.
This is the exact same thing I've been doing for years. I have yet to not find what I was looking for or at least something else which would work. I also tend to buy extras and a couple other things because I know I'll end up needing it eventually.

Agreed with above. Ace, HomeDepot, Lowes, Menards, whoever you have as a local hardware store should have M3 screws, you're looking for probably 20mm but if they only have 30mm you can cut it down with a hacksaw, bolt cutters, angle grinder, etc...

ace is the place !

Unless of course you wanna buy an assorted bag of them from me for $5.00 :D

But if you can specify the exact size in mm, I'm pretty sure I will have some, seeins how I've built many rigs over the years that were equipped with AIO's & fans....

yup, any decent hardware store. bring the long one, match it to a shorter one. there are a couple different threads on rads, but 20mm should be about right for length.

The funny thing is I already went to ACE and they didn't have it lol.

I was hoping that there were slim fan rad screws that a PC hardware e-tailer sold?

Surly I'm not the first person to want to secure slim fans onto a rad? all those small form factor guys and anyone else using slim 120 fans on rads?

Maybe if i knew the exact size I could order some?

https://www.arctic.de/en/P12-Slim-PWM-PST/ACFAN00187A

They don't have rad "machine screws" lol on the website only case fan screws that are shorter. Unless I can't find them?

P12_Slim_PWM_PST_dimensions.jpg

Agreed with above. Ace, HomeDepot, Lowes, Menards, whoever you have as a local hardware store should have M3 screws, you're looking for probably 20mm but if they only have 30mm you can cut it down with a hacksaw, bolt cutters, angle grinder, etc...
Wouldn't you need to rethread the end if you cut it down? or lose the top end to secure it? Either way I don't see how I could cut it, both ends are needed to secure it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Alphacool Radiator Screw Kit, M3x30mm/M3x5mm, 12-Pack https://a.co/d/4MhLG7o

Alphacool uses M3, for example
Yes, except I need 20mm but thanks this is getting me closer to the correct ones. I might try the 18mm ones I posted but 20 is better because if they need to go through the case or rubber anti vibration pads, I can't seem to find 20mm because 30 I have, and they are too long and I don't want huge ugly spacer/washers know what I mean.

Could this be the correct set?
Cicidorai M3 x 12mm 16mm 20mm 25mm 30mm Button Head Socket Cap Screws Bolts, 10.9 Grade Alloy Steel, Metric Allen Hex Drive, Black Oxide Finish, Fully Threaded, Assortment Kit 100Pcs https://a.co/d/4MzpyiN

Wouldn't you need to rethread the end if you cut it down? or lose the top end to secure it? Either way I don't see how I could cut it, both ends are needed to secure it?
Rethread the end? This doesn't make sense. The threads are there, you're just cutting part of the shaft. This is only if local hardware store doesn't have 20mm in stock but does have 30mm.
Lose the top end? Do you mean the head of the screw? You don't cut that part off.
Both ends needed to secure it? If you cut a 30mm down to 20mm (by cutting the shaft), the head is one end, the other goes through your fan, anti vibration pad, and into the radiator.

If you can get M3 20mm on Amazon go for it. Might pay more than local hardware store if you're buying just what you need. Amazon will likely have better prices on large quantities, but I don't like buying 100 when I only need 4 or 8. Also, you can take your stuff into the store and often times test fit the screw before buying it. Hardware guys love helping out for those tough situations.

To determine what screws you need take one screw that fits but is too short and find the nut that fits it perfectly in the machine screw nut bin at the hardware store or wherever you decide to buy them. That way you'll know the thread pitch and diameter. Then find the correct length in the bin and problem solved.

Rethread the end? This doesn't make sense. The threads are there, you're just cutting part of the shaft. This is only if local hardware store doesn't have 20mm in stock but does have 30mm.
Lose the top end? Do you mean the head of the screw? You don't cut that part off.
Both ends needed to secure it? If you cut a 30mm down to 20mm (by cutting the shaft), the head is one end, the other goes through your fan, anti vibration pad, and into the radiator.

If you can get M3 20mm on Amazon go for it. Might pay more than local hardware store if you're buying just what you need. Amazon will likely have better prices on large quantities, but I don't like buying 100 when I only need 4 or 8. Also, you can take your stuff into the store and often times test fit the screw before buying it. Hardware guys love helping out for those tough situations.
I get mine at our local True Value hardware. They have a whole of aisle of fasteners. We also have a place here called Tacoma Screw.

And yes, put a nut on before you cut to essentially rethread the screw. When you cut it, it messed up the entry point and you'll always cross thread. The nut essentially combs the threads as you back it off by using the other threads as a guide.

I'd recommend the local hardware store over trying to find something on amazon. You can check fit and length and everything. And maybe they're more expensive...maybe even half again. But a machine screw is like 20¢...the fuel to get there is more than the screw. The frustration of a bad screw is worth more than the fuel.

Ahhh, I never knew about the nut trick to force a rethread. I have always had a little resistance when I go to screw it in and I just push past it. I'll be doing that from now on when I have to cut.

Ahhh, I never knew about the nut trick to force a rethread. I have always had a little resistance when I go to screw it in and I just push past it. I'll be doing that from now on when I have to cut.
Its really good to do because it can be sacrificial if its really mangled. And you dont want to try and thread that screw into a brass heat set or some other threaded softer material where itll just destroy that. This way if you screw up a nut, its no real loss.

Idk, this is sounding way more complicated than it should be. M3 or 6-32 should be easy to find at any half decent hardware store (shoutout to Ace as mentioned before). Might not be the exact length needed...but does 2mm longer really matter? If so buy 20mm and cut it down a tad. Easy peasy and cheap.

This is what I mean. You need both ends right? How can I cut off one end? lol
alphacool rad screws.jpg

Also I've been to the local Ace and DIY center and they both do not have this particular item. Not just the length but they literally don't have this thread (M3).

Idk, this is sounding way more complicated than it should be. M3 or 6-32 should be easy to find at any half decent hardware store (shoutout to Ace as mentioned before). Might not be the exact length needed...but does 2mm longer really matter? If so buy 20mm and cut it down a tad. Easy peasy and cheap.
It's because it's an uncommon item. Surprising since so many people use slim fans on rads for tight spaces. I've only found one seller on amazon and nothing local at the hardware stores here.

It's because it's an uncommon item. Surprising since so many people use slim fans on rads for tight spaces. I've only found one seller on amazon and nothing local at the hardware stores here.
No hardware stores have fully threaded screws?

No hardware stores have fully threaded screws?
The 2 around my house don't. I would need to drive around literally from hardware store to hardware store looking for these screws. Could potentially be a waste of time/gas. Might just order the box of them for $12.

The 2 around my house don't. I would need to drive around literally from hardware store to hardware store looking for these screws. Could potentially be a waste of time/gas. Might just order the box of them for $12.
Huh, that sucks. The Ace down the road from me has great screw selection. Menards is fairly good, too...though less metric stuff.

This is what I mean. You need both ends right? How can I cut off one end? lol
View attachment 646755
Also I've been to the local Ace and DIY center and they both do not have this particular item. Not just the length but they literally don't have this thread (M3).
I've never seen one like that before. All of mine the threads go all the way from head down to the end of the shaft. Odd...

I've never seen one like that before. All of mine the threads go all the way from head down to the end of the shaft. Odd...
I've never had ones fully threaded that's why I assumed rad screws were similar. I have 4 Alphacool rads and all of them came with sets of screws that only have the tip threaded. So when I saw the fully threaded screws I thought what you thought, odd.. 😂

Hey, just a heads-up: Alphacool's Black Ice radiators use M4 screws, not M3, just in case that's what you have. The Nexxxos radiators do use M3 screws.

They have all different size screws on their webstore, fwiw. 15mm, etc. The 15mm screws are designed to be used with their fan though, which has recesses for the screw head. They'd be too short for other 15mm fans (nevermind 15.5mm or 16mm fans).

I have 4 of the Nexxxos ST rads. So I am confident that they are M3. In the link above I posted a set that has 4 different lengths for 10.99 plus tax. I'll prolly spring for that set as I like having spares. Ty for the tips.

I'm running 20mm M4's into an AC Black Ice Nemesis using Noctua's A12x15's. Just pulled one to verify as it's been a long time since I worked on that one.

20240411_055207.jpg
20240411_054414.jpg

This little kit has been awesome for odds and ends since it has M3 and M4 of various lengths. M3 20mm right below the M4.

1712839095980.png

These should be fine.

1712840631236.png

Attachments

• 20240411_054414.jpg
    20240411_054414.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back