Radeon RX 6600 XT, screen flickering

shadowj

Limp Gawd
I have a second PC, connected to Samsung QN900A
The screen just keeps flickering, no matter what I'm doing
Web browsing, watching YouTube, etc
I already tried to uninstall with DDU, didn't help, tried 3 different HDMI 2.1 cables, no go
Someone, with the same issue, disabled the virtual super resolution, but I don't have this option
Could anyone help me, please?

try turning off any of the tv's "image enhancements"; noise reduction, motion smoothing, etc.

same thing on all inputs? played with the resolution/hz at all?
you wouldnt have vsr you would have nvidias version, check the control panel. while in there play with other settings like the performance mode and any of its enhancements.

that you on tom's?

I have a second PC, connected to Samsung QN900A
The screen just keeps flickering, no matter what I'm doing
Web browsing, watching YouTube, etc
I already tried to uninstall with DDU, didn't help, tried 3 different HDMI 2.1 cables, no go
Someone, with the same issue, disabled the virtual super resolution, but I don't have this option
Could anyone help me, please?
Unless your driver is a couple of years old.....you have Virtual Super Resolution.

Has it ever worked with the QN900A?

Sometimes updating the motherboard bios can resolve screen issues. It doesn't necessarily make sense. But, I have seen it.

I'll try to update the BIOS, later today when I get home
TV has the latest update
RTX 4090, on the other PC, no issues at all
I tried with all the inputs

I don't understand what you mean

older drivers didnt have it. but on nvidia vsr=video super res for video playback. the one they mean is dsr, dynamic super res.
AMD's VSR is so that you can downsample ypur desktop or games. It allows you to internally run a higher resolution than your monitor, and then it downscales to your monitor res.

Have you tried a new cable? (<- yeah, basic, but that's where to start)
The cable is definitely one of the first things I would check after driver settings.

If you don't have another cable or it's difficult to get to and swap out you can partly rule it out or confirm it by lowering the resolution or refresh rate to reduce the bandwidth required since when that happens due to a bad cable it's usually caused by a cable that can just barely handle the bandwidth requirements of the signal.

I'll try another cable
Freesync is off
The other system has no issues at all ( just ordered a bracket for GPU sag, just to make sure)
pendragon1, why TV " problem"?
It's amazing. Although it's BGR instead RGB, I can't see a difference ( on some websites, only, but I'm using MacType Tuner )
I would never go back to 4k.
I purchased the second PC, for Linux, actually
Was a bit disappointed when I found out, no Linux version supports 8k@60Hz. Don't understand why.
Then I started to research if Mac Mini m2 pro would be okay but there are some issues with the scaling
Thank you so much, guys

@pendragon1, why TV " problem"?
its the one youre troubleshooting but we dont know if its the card or tv so: "problem". unless youve already tried swapping systems and didnt mention it.

edit: now i see you did try this. see the posts below

Last edited:
I'll try another cable
Freesync is off
The other system has no issues at all ( just ordered a bracket for GPU sag, just to make sure)
pendragon1, why TV " problem"?
It's amazing. Although it's BGR instead RGB, I can't see a difference ( on some websites, only, but I'm using MacType Tuner )
I would never go back to 4k.
I purchased the second PC, for Linux, actually
Was a bit disappointed when I found out, no Linux version supports 8k@60Hz. Don't understand why.
Then I started to research if Mac Mini m2 pro would be okay but there are some issues with the scaling
Thank you so much, guys

Somehow I didn't catch this was an 8K TV. Its almost certainly a cable issue, that requires a really good high speed certified HDMI cable. I never believed it would be a problem until I got a 4K120 display, and it definitely did not like the generic HDMI cable that came in the box with it. I went through a few brands before I found a monoprice that worked with no black screens.

AMD cards are very particular with cables unfortunately, the recommendations as listed seem pretty solid. 1. Try hooking another system with a different brand of video card into the television for a while and see if it flickers, if it does it may be a firmware issue. 2. Buy the highest quality 2.1 cable you can buy, maybe get a few different ones and see if there's any difference (obviously return the ones that either don't work, or all of them if they don't work). It sucks, but 4k 120 on AMD seems to have some issues, particularly for me when I have another monitor active (my neo g7 still flickers on 6800XT over displayport, I don't have an Nvidia card to test).

Back