Radeon HD 7970 issue with Terraria

Ark :o

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Radeon HD 7970 because I am a BF3 player and wanted to be able to run the game at 2560x1440 on Ultra, with no slowdowns, on a single card. I've bumped into an issue though. I have a few friends that I enjoy playing Terraria with from time to time, but now the game will not run. It used to run just fine on my old Radeon HD 5870, so I am assuming it's a driver issue perhaps with the 7970.

Anyway, is anyone here with a 7970 also a Terraria player? If so, any issues? I've uninstalled/reinstalled Terraria, the .NET framework, and the XNA framework. I also uninstalled/reinstalled Steam, to no avail.

System specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z motherboard
16GB Corsair DDR3-1600
MSI Radeon HD 7970 (old card that worked fine was a Sapphire Radeon HD 5870)
2x Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD's in RAID 0 (boot drive)
2x WD Black 500GB HD's in RAID 0 (installations)
1x WD Black 2TB HD (media and downloads)
Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset for sound (has its own sound hardware)
Dell U2711 monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Copy/paste of the "Terraria has stopped working" window:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: terraria.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.4.0
Problem Signature 03: 4f158690
Problem Signature 04: Terraria
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.4.0
Problem Signature 06: 4f158690
Problem Signature 07: 9c
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: System.BadImageFormatException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Google has not been helpful. :(

Many thanks in advance [H]!

Did you remember to reinstall NET 2.0 and all that assorted crap?.

edit to correct:
sorry i misunderstood your post that you hadn't done that. i posted a fix tho, i know that i suffered this when i tried terraria i just couldn't remember where was the fix.

Last edited:
What he said. When you installed BF3 it should have done all of that. Ive played it a few times since i got the 7970 with no issues.

A good find my friend, thank you. I'll give it a shot tonight after work.

What drivers are you using? I'm on the 12.2 pre-release, and I can run Terraria just fine with no issues.

Interesting. I'm also using that driver. So it can't be a 7970 issue then.... damn, now I am at a loss.

Yeah, the problem is that terraria requires Win 7's Service pack 1, .net 4.0+ and latest xna among other things. If anything there fails to be loaded, it will fail and not provide proper info.

Yeah, the problem is that terraria requires Win 7's Service pack 1, .net 4.0+ and latest xna among other things. If anything there fails to be loaded, it will fail and not provide proper info.

All three of those were present, and I do not run a pirated copy of Windows or Terraria. Regardless, I fixed my issue by formatting my hard drive and reinstalling, lol. Now Terraria works like a charm. Wtf, right?

? Don't think that anyone here implied that you had a pirated copy, just that Terraria is a wee bit finicky, and thus for me, annoying,

Glad that you were able to exorcise the ghosts in your machine and are able to play Terraria again :p :)

I've played Terraria for months and haven't had SP1 installed...

I've played Terraria for months and haven't had SP1 installed...

Well, gratz! i had to install it to install something else, i think it was dotnet 4, to fix the game for me. I was extremely wary because i had read that SP1 actually screwed a bit with other peeps systems, thanksfully it all worked out for me tho.

? Don't think that anyone here implied that you had a pirated copy, just that Terraria is a wee bit finicky, and thus for me, annoying,

Glad that you were able to exorcise the ghosts in your machine and are able to play Terraria again :p :)

I didn't mean to make that implication, it's just that other people who have had the same crash as me were openly running a pirated copy, whereas I was not, that's all. :)

Back