R9-290 Crossfire with an 800watt PSU?

Rauelius

2[H]4U
So, I've been seeing a few deals on R9 290s and have been considering getting one for some crossfire. I plan on also getting an i7 4790k, will a Corsair GS800 powersupply handle it? I have 2 HDDs and 1 SSD in the system as well.

850w for me wasn't enough. I originally had a 4.6ghz OC on my processor and had to back it down to 4.2ghz and also couldn't OC the gfx cards either. I'd recommend 1000w.

i have 2 290x's though in my sig. they suck a lot of power. not sure what the consumption is for regular 290s

you'll probably be ok for stock

if you plan to aggressively OC, then you're probably going to want a beefier PSU

I have a 290 crossfire setup. It will be fine for desktop use but once you try to game it will not handle it. Invest in a good 1000 watt or higher PSU and it will last you for a long time.

When I run FurMark and Prime95 the Corsair Link tells me I just touch 1000w. So if you want to be sure I’d get at least a 1000w power supply. I got the 1500w to rule out any marginal power issues and it runs supper quite under normal gaming load.

So general consensus is an 850w won't be enough for 290x XFire?

Kinda ruins my plan of getting one now and another later when the price drops even further.

If your cpu and gpus stay stock you can do it but its going to tax your psu. Its going to be dumping alot of heat. I did it a corsair 850 watt

So general consensus is an 850w won't be enough for 290x XFire?

Kinda ruins my plan of getting one now and another later when the price drops even further.

It's posisble as long as you have a good to high quality 850W PSU and, as Vengance_01 said, stock clocks on the CPU and GPU.

It's posisble as long as you have a good to high quality 850W PSU and, as Vengance_01 said, stock clocks on the CPU and GPU.
Also let me add you better have the airflow and space between your 2 GPU's One thing is these cards by themselves running pretty cool but in CF mode and without airflow they sound like jet engines(ref models) I should know used to mine with my cards(sold 1) and did some CF gaming.

That's pretty funny, I'm sporting the same psu from the same refurb sale. It's been trucking along ever since without a hiccup.
*bro-fist* :D
Hopefully yours' is the newer revision. I had to mod all four of mine to reduce the ripple on 12V2 and 12V3 :
bfg_ex1000_modded.jpg~original

Back