Quite possible the best desktop wifi adapter

computerpro3

LightningRod
I'm posting this for people who may not be aware of this possibility, as I wasn't until recently. I'm getting monstrous performance from this setup. As in twice the speed of comparable pre-made adapters for the same price by Dlink and such sold on Newegg.

Wifi card: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimat...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303432392&sr=1-1

Adapter: http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/MP2H.html

3 Antennas: http://www.air802.com/dual-band-dip...-polarity-sma-rp-sma-plug-male-connector.html

This combo is getting me 20 megabytes per second from my WNDR4000 sustained transfer rates from 40 feet away three rooms over. Also, I have to give props for hwtools - even though they are overseas, my package arrived in THREE DAYS since they use Fedex international priority.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
interesting. the card says it does 450Mbps but i thought 11n only went to 300Mbps.

what does windows says your connection speed is?

Wow, I think this just ended up in my shopping cart :p Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the post. It sounds like you are getting great results from this setup in your other thread. I may have to slap one of these in my file server so I can stick it on a shelf and not worry about running a data cable to it.

Good for wireless gaming at all? Or for remote/net apps that are latency sensitive?

20 megabytes per second?

Anyone serious about speed on a desktop wouldn't be fooling around with wireless. Wire can cheaply deliver 1000 megabits per second, even if other people are sharing the network and there's a lightning storm. If you really want speed, there is even 100,000 mb/s optical networking, for a price.

Cheaply? Sure. Sightly? Not always possible.

I live in a Cape house with lath and plaster walls on the inside with brick on the outside, and it is a royal PITA to run cabling.

I have CAT5 ran for 3-5 systems on the east side of the house, but anything on the second floor or on the west side is wireless.

20 megabytes per second?

Anyone serious about speed on a desktop wouldn't be fooling around with wireless. Wire can cheaply deliver 1000 megabits per second, even if other people are sharing the network and there's a lightning storm. If you really want speed, there is even 100,000 mb/s optical networking, for a price.

I simply CAN'T run wire. I live in a rented apartment and will be moving in three months. There are no cable jacks in the room of any sort, and the router is three rooms away. To make matters worse, there isn't even a clear path of carpet I can run it along. I would have to stick it to the wall with adhesive molding which would look retarded and constantly fall off.

22mb/s is faster both faster and cheaper than powerline adapters and 100 network.

i just ordered the same setup :) I'm in a similar situation as most of you, renting an apartment and cannot run CAT5/6. Hopefully this works out. Thanks for the post.

20 megabytes per second?

what if you aren't "serious" about speed, but do prefer higher throughput, and can't run wire?

This is just awesome....I'm in the same boat as far as an apartment goes as my workstation is in a different room than my gear...this is great!

Just wanted to say, for maximum speeds ensure that your router is 3 stream capable like the E4200 or WNDR4000.

are there any USB adapters that are 3 stream capable? i have a mini pc and no pci/pci-e slots.

Back