Quietest SFF?

jukie888

n00b
I've never really looked into SFF before, but now am seriously considering one for a htpc type thing for my apartment.

What's the quietest one out there, but still has decent cooling?

What parts do you plan on putting inside it?

That makes all the difference.

An X-Qpack with the right components (Zalman 7000, 12/14cm PSU, ATi/NV Silencer, etc.) All of the Biostar/Shuttle-sized PSUs use PSUs with small, moderately loud fans.

The Zen is the quietest, smallest shuttle you will currently find (and is also reasonably priced). It only has one fan in the entire system (for the processor), the power supply is external and passively cooled :). Unfortunately, the Zen is limited considerably in upgradeability due to its single PCI slot and the absence of AGP.

It may suite your HTPC needs depending on what you are looking for. You can fill the PCI slot with a TV tuner and use the onboard TV-out connection, although some video quality might be lost. The Zen has the capability to be a small, quiet, cheap HTPC, but it primarily depends on what you are planning to load into it.

edit: heh, look at that-- [H]ard|Gawd now :D.

I plan to make this thing almost like a HTPC. I want it to play my dvds and movies and tv. But I'm not going to be recording anything.

I'm also planning to make it double as a webserver with apache. Then I want it to triple it as something to stream music and movies and files and other nonsense off of. So it will probably have like 2 300gb harddrives or somethin like that. It will probably have 2 printers hooked up to it also, a laser one and a photo one so as to act like a "print server."

I know it sounds like a bunch of stuff I want to do, but it's because I'm under pretty tight budget as a college student, so I want it to do as much stuff for my apt as possible with one contraption.

While I'm here, I've been told to get a PVR card instead of an AIW. Not sure which to do now...

Do you want micro-ATX or mini-ITX?

It sounds to me like you need only two half-height PCI cards.

I would go with a fanless or near-fanless mini-ITX enclosure.

Well, I guess it all depends on what kind of site you will be using apache for.

I'd probably go microATX of those two choices. I just want the smallest enclosure that can do all those things.

On this server it won't be load intensive. It's mostly just serve up pictures/home videos using gallery or some other gallery software and a website that won't be using major php or sql. I'm thinking a lower end cpu an early p4 or athlon xp/sempron.

Back