Weaksauce
Ryzen 7 5700X @4.7GHz
Intel Arc A770 16 GB
48 GB 3200 RAM
MSI B550 Tomahawk
Silverstone FT02 case
Noctua NH-D15
Seasonic Fanless 520w PSU

*Whispers* This is the first time I've been able to directly control fan speeds, my previous Z87 set up didn't give me that option, which meant I had the three 180mm AP fans plus the 2.5k RPM 120mm exhaust fan blasting at full speed whenever the PC was switched on. Over the weekend I was able to set up custom fan curves for the first time. I've pretty much disabled the front fan as it just blows fresh air into the empty optical drive bay area, it's set up to kick in if the system ever hits 50c, so basically if I'm running benchmarks during a heatwave, the other two APs are more than sufficient blowing air directly up into the GPU, CPU cooler and fanless PSU, although they are spinning much much slower than before, as is the exhaust fan which is now limited to 1500 RPM. It does get noisy under load, but nothing like as loud as it was before.

whm1.JPG

It's amazing to be sitting at my desk and not be reaching for my headphones. For less resource hungry tasks like web browsing, video streaming and very light gaming it's practically silent.

Originally the 520w fanless PSU was just a placeholder, lent to me by a friend while I waited for my RMA'd TX-850, however, with the way this case is designed the PSU gets a constant breeze from the rear AP fan and so far has withstood all of the punishment I've thrown at it, including various stress tests and a weekend of overclocking and benchmarking as I homed in on the optimal performance/quietness sweet spot. So I might just throw my friend the £30 he wants for the PSU and leave it in, I was nervous about capacity but there's been no issues at all with power, even at full load I'm pulling less than 450w, closer than I'd like but that's under extreme loads and way beyond anything it'll encounter under normal usage.

Credit has to go to the Noctua, definitely too much cooler for this CPU, but its presence significantly contributes to the low fan speed requirements and temps.

My compliments !

May i throw in some inspiration for other worthy past times in the pursuit of quiet?

16.jpg

So the 4,2mm STP bombast will fit internally and kiss/stabilize the D15s heatpipes (maybe only some. Those vary a bit in size).
Those cut-outs in the second layer are for the D15s Fan IF corsair "lpx" ram is used. The lower cutout is only for a 3x fan setup.
Gskil 35mm would fit as well since there is a lot of "give" in the STP bombast.
It reacts well to any roller or roller-type pressure.

btw:
With software like "Fan Control" you can give the 180s enough power to get them going from a complete stop and afterwards you have the ability to regulate them down to even 2xx rpm.

Best Regards
Carlyle

Last edited:
Reactions: Folly
like this
My compliments !

May i throw in some inspiration for other worthy past times in the pursuit of quiet?

View attachment 601236

So the 4,2mm STP bombast will fit internally and kiss/stabilize the D15s heatpipes (maybe only some. Those vary a bit in size).
Those cut-outs in the second layer are for the D15s Fan IF corsair "lpx" ram is used. The lower cutout is only for a 3x fan setup.
Gskil 35mm would fit as well since there is a lot of "give" in the STP bombast.
It reacts well to any roller or roller-type pressure.

btw:
With software like "Fan Control" you can give the 180s enough power to get them going from a complete stop and afterwards you have the ability to regulate them down to even 2xx rpm.

Best Regards
Carlyle

Next level!

I have fan control but haven't yet had a chance to play with it. I'd like to look at getting some kind of tool for measuring noise levels too, I don't have a smart phone and don't want to spend a fortune, but the idea of getting it as quiet as possible does appeal, but I need a way to measure if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Edit - Had a play with Fan control, what a great tool!

FC1.JPG
was there a q in there somewhere?
No q, just a post about my progress so far in trying to turn a noisy old rig into an efficient and quiet PC that performs well.

Last edited:
Next level!

I have fan control but haven't yet had a chance to play with it. I'd like to look at getting some kind of tool for measuring noise levels too, I don't have a smart phone and don't want to spend a fortune, but the idea of getting it as quiet as possible does appeal, but I need a way to measure if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Edit - Had a play with Fan control, what a great tool!

View attachment 601304

No q, just a post about my progress so far in trying to turn a noisy old rig into an efficient and quiet PC that performs well.
edit - Fan Control is amazing! I just sent a small donation to the creator. I had no idea it could be this easy to manage the fans, it's surprising to me that a tool like this doesn't come preinstalled with every OS.

I just set up a simple profile and ran a 3D Mark CPU test...
fc2.JPG

Except for a spike of 86c on the CCD it went well, very quiet throughout. Will play some more after work.

Tweaked the curves and ran Cinebench.
Decent score, good thermals and very quiet fan profile.

cb1.JPG

Sometimes it seems like bios settings are overriding FC settings, can I do something in the bios to prevent that?

The CPU cooler fans seem to have a life of their own, often spinning at max RPM despite the CPU being nowhere near the danger zone, and once there they stay at full throttle for several minutes even when the CPU is idle and at ambient temperature, how to prevent that? I'm guessing that's bios conflict also.

Sometimes it seems like bios settings are overriding FC settings, can I do something in the bios to prevent that?

The CPU cooler fans seem to have a life of their own, often spinning at max RPM despite the CPU being nowhere near the danger zone, and once there they stay at full throttle for several minutes even when the CPU is idle and at ambient temperature, how to prevent that? I'm guessing that's bios conflict also.
is that MSI's control tool? if not, try theirs.

Reactions: Folly
like this
Back