Quick P35 Q

xvioz

Weaksauce
So a local store had ordered me an Asus P5K-E, OK that's cool... they call me, it's in, I go get it, get home and realize it's the wrong mobo all together (they had it in the bag already, I peaked in and saw it was Asus so assumed it was right and I came home).

Now I'm gonna be heading back up to see if they actually got my P5K-E in or if they just ordered the wrong one and I've gotta wait longer but that got me thinking. The P5K-E seems like it has a lot of shit I wouldn't use (Crossfire support, 6 SATA ports, etc.) so I was wondering if the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is a good mobo?

Looks like it's got everything I need. Plus it's cheaper, it's in stock, says it'll support 45nm chips and I know the DS3R gets a lot of praise. I'm just not familiar with Gigabyte... always been an Asus guy.

Thanks!

DS3L is not nearly as beefy as that ASUS in the cpu power supply circuitry if you think you would ever put a quad on it I would stay with the ASUS. Now if you asked about a DS3R I would say flip a coin but since you are used to the ASUS bios etc., well you know.

Any two P35's are going to perform within a couple of percent of each other, its the features and quality of construction that is the only difference you can tell outside of benchmark numbers. Many times you can just set the boards side by side and closely look at the "stuff" on the board, especially around the CPU socket. It becomes fairly apparent which board has the better design.

Hah I've also got a Q6600 ordered so I guess I'll stick with the Asus. Plus I just realized that Gigabyte mobo isn't compatible with my OCZ memory.

Thanks, headin' over to see what's up now.

Back