Quick Costco question...

Cantroy

Lurker
And I say that as this is likely the place I will be buying my next monitor unless something wonderful comes along... Right now, I am looking at this:

VIZIO M50-C1 50" Class 4K Ultra HD 120Hz Smart LED TV - Newegg.com

or what they call a Samsung UN48JU640D which appears to be their version of the 6500 series so here is this newegg link for comparison:

Samsung UN55JU6500 55" Class 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV - Newegg.com

Newegg just has better comparisons, but amazon also has these,
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M50-C1-...1+50-inch+4k+ultra+hd+smart+led+tv+2015+model
and
Amazon.com: SAMSUNG UN40JU640D 4K UHD JU640D Series Smart TV 40" Class (40" Diag.): Electronics

In any case, I am saving pennies to get the new 1070 or whatever they will be calling that model video card and one of these OR, someone here can give me a reason to get a different model, preferably from costco or amazon?

(I have the =hardforcom-20 at the end of my amazon link, so amazon would work too...)

My wife and I are trying to keep it in a less than $750 budget if possible, and having something I can actually show her before I buy it also lets her see why I might want it. We almost sprung for one of those models tonight, but it would be asier in a month, and I wanted feedback from here and to research them both. It looks like they are both useable, as my "gaming" is wow, eq2, and pinball with blackguards plugged in somewhere right now. I'm not a shoot'em player.

/reviews I looked at for both to compare apples to apples:
Vizio M50-C1 Review 4K LED TV
Samsung UN48JU6500 Review (UN48JU6400, UN48JU6500FXZA, UN48JU640D)

Thanks for your help!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To clarify, you want to use a 50/55 " TV as a monitor?

The new 2016 Vizio M series are due to be released soon (the P series was just released recently). You may want to wait for those to have more options. The new M series will support HDR.

I would be willing to use a samsung TV or similar after reading what others are using on here for 4k, yes. I already read enough to know that I should likely be looking at a 48" or so for 4k, as I just had to get glasses again, and I read others saying that the 8" is an improvement over 40". I am currently using a dell 27" monitor but I wanted to try to make a resolution leap for my home PC. I am not opposed to waiting, I just want to make sure I am thinking along the right lines... I mean, I don't need a curved screen unless it really matters, but if I could get good performance out of such a TV screen to move up to, that would be great. If it isn't worth it just yet, I would wait.

I have a 24" trinitron monitor which I used for gaming for a long time, and now the dell 2713H. I am just wondering if this is the time to leap to 4k and if this is a good way to do it.

Using a TV as a monitor has it's pros/cons depending on what your usage is. If you're going to be reading any text on it, you want to get a TV that supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 4k@60Hz. There are not many TVs that support this. Then, if you watch sports or play games, input lag and motion blur / ghosting will be important factors too.

As for size, take a look at a PPI calculator (google search) to compare the PPI each different TV size will give you compared to your current/previous monitors.

Personally, I've been waiting for a couple of years to make the jump to 4k, and that at this time, I'm really hoping that the upcoming Vizio M or E series will meet my needs. They should be released within 1-2 months, so a wait might be worth it. If you want a 50", the new 2016 P series from Vizio is already out for $1000, but given your budget, The E or M series would be more appropriate. They key thing with these sets, is that they support HDR (except for the E series) in addition to [hopefully] fully meeting the requirements I listed above.

Be careful. I did some looking at those, and I don't believe the 6400 is equivalent to the 6500. The 6400 does not do 4:4:4 chroma at 60 Hz. So text will probably look bad if you use it as a monitor. Since Samsung has a 640D and a 650D, that seem to parallel the 6400 and 6500, I would guess that the 640D also does not do 4:4:4 chroma.

But, Costco should have a decent return policy, at least they used to. I'd definitely buy from a place with a generous return policy in case the gamble on text appearance doesn't work out.

You won't need one of the next gen cards for the games you mentioned, though. I am running a 970 on a custom resolution (3840x1600) to give me more horizontal view, and the single 970 does just fine. You will need a 970 or 980 though to have hdmi 2 that the Samsung will accept.

I showed my wife a 40" screen in store, and she didn't quite get why I wanted it. With all the other 60" screens around, the 40" didn't appear any bigger than the 27" screen I replaced. Once it was home and on my desk, the 40" monitor looked more like the upgrade it is. Of course, now she wants one as well.

I ended up going with the Philips 40", which is a true monitor, not a TV.

And I say that as this is likely the place I will be buying my next monitor unless something wonderful comes along... Right now, I am looking at this:

VIZIO M50-C1 50" Class 4K Ultra HD 120Hz Smart LED TV - Newegg.com

or what they call a Samsung UN48JU640D which appears to be their version of the 6500 series so here is this newegg link for comparison:

Thanks for your help!

You need the Costco 650D - that is the 6500. Our Costco just added the 50" UN50JU650D to the floor stock at $700.

So, look at the 650D or try to save up a little more and wait a little longer in the hopes that now that the KS series is out, the prices drop?

The 48ju6700 (curved 6500) has been as low as $800 on Amazon and looking at camel*3 may be due for another sale. It's what I've got on my desk and I don't know if I could deal with a flat version.

The 48ju6700 (curved 6500) has been as low as $800 on Amazon and looking at camel*3 may be due for another sale. It's what I've got on my desk and I don't know if I could deal with a flat version.

Adorama is actually selling it for $629 on eBay right now. I just ordered one yesterday. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am so close to just waiting to see how the 2016 series are, and whether Costco would have them at a decent price. I don't mind saving a little towards it and getting a better one a month later, as right now I still have the 670, and I just don't think it would handle a 4k monitor very well. I could be wrong, but I would need someone with experience to tell me so. In any case, it appears I'll be waiting a month or 2 anyway /sigh

Would I be happy with the curved 6500 series? The price should only drop... Alaricjs, you happy with yours?

Quick edit/note... From the video card forum, not a lot of video cards are really shining for 4k yet it seems... Maybe wait for the 980s to drop too /sigh

Last edited:
Aside from having spent this entire weekend unhappily rebuilding the OS on the machine that drives it, I love my stupidly large monitor. Do understand that my use case is 95% desktop. I have played Borderlands 2 on it and I have no complaints, similarly to having no complaints on my ZR2440w (both at native rez on a GTX 970).

There are certainly 'issues' but they don't stick for me. There's that 1px at either far edge that disappears once you're within a certain distance of the screen. Not sure why and again, doesn't matter since for me it's 1px of window border that disappeared, and that 1px isn't going to lose me any games either. I do wonder if the condition is there (or worse) on the flat 6500, but never bothered to find out. Brightness management could be better for desktop usage, but I am dealing w/ backlight at 3 and brightness at 45. There are times when I'd like it dimmer than it can get, it would also be nice if there were quicker access to adjust it.

The brightness is even, the colors are good and with 4k content it's crisp enough that I hate getting old.

alaricljs, do you feel any discomfort after long periods of use? I'm still waiting for my JU6700 to come in the mail and I'm worried about the PWM backlight.

No issues I didn't already experience from sitting in front of a couple 24's for too long every day ;) I've never noticed a sensitivity to PWM before or currently.

if your going to be running 4k make sure it supports 60hz otherwise its gonna be really choppy

Back