Questions/Problems about my new NEC 2510a

Alexlepro

Limp Gawd
I bought an NEC 2510a from Newegg and installed it last night and I have some problems and questions. First of all, this is the first time I put a new drive in my computer and I'm not really sure if I'm just supposed to plug it in and it should work? Also, the main reason I bought this dvd burner is because my cd-burner was having problems and because I needed to back up very big files. When I put a normal game cd or a movie dvd it works fine but I have questions because I want to start burning dvd's. When I put a blank dvd r (The ones that came free from Newegg with the order of the dvd burner) and I go to windows explorer and click on the drive nothing shows up. In properties it says 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. On the other had when I go into Nero and properties it sees that it has 4500 mb of free space. Other questions:

1. Is Nero a good program to burn dvds? If so do I go about it the same ways as cds?
2. What type of dvd's should I buy in the future that will work well with this drive?
3. What is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to all this dvd burning stuff.

Alexlepro said:
I bought an NEC 2510a from Newegg and installed it last night and I have some problems and questions. First of all, this is the first time I put a new drive in my computer and I'm not really sure if I'm just supposed to plug it in and it should work? Also, the main reason I bought this dvd burner is because my cd-burner was having problems and because I needed to back up very big files. When I put a normal game cd or a movie dvd it works fine but I have questions because I want to start burning dvd's. When I put a blank dvd r (The ones that came free from Newegg with the order of the dvd burner) and I go to windows explorer and click on the drive nothing shows up. In properties it says 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. On the other had when I go into Nero and properties it sees that it has 4500 mb of free space. Other questions:

1. Is Nero a good program to burn dvds? If so do I go about it the same ways as cds?
2. What type of dvd's should I buy in the future that will work well with this drive?
3. What is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to all this dvd burning stuff.

First off, no worries. We were all n00bs once ;)
Don't worry, as long as Nero says it's fine, it's all good.

1)Nero ->Excellent program to burn DVDs, yes you can burn them in the same way you burn CDs.
2) Here are a few recommendations -> Memorex, FujiFilm, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Prodisc will all work well with your drive.
3)Refer to sticky titled "Media FAQ".

W

Don't worry about the 0 free byte or whatever.

Windows always reads blank media as having no free space.

As for media, personally I use either Memorex or Ritek and never have problems.

And the only difference between +R and -R is the format. Some drives read only read 1 format...but usually 90% or so of home theater DVD players read both. Almost add DVD-ROM's read both formats.

Back