Questions for Acer H340 Owners

Cool1Net6

Limp Gawd
I am about to purchase one of those small, headless WHS machines, specifically the Acer easyStore H340, but I have a few questions:

Drive Lights: Do any of the drive lights flicker when data is being accessed on that particular drive?

Video Out: Is there any way to mod a video out on the device? I know there is a way for the HP MediaSmart, but how about the Acer?

Software: Can I change how the 1-Touch backup works? I want it to dump everything on a USB drive to a specific folder or share, without dividing the content into music, pictures, video, etc.

Imaging: I heard that restoring these small, headless WHS's can become a real headache so I thought of a solution. Lets say when I get the device, before I even power it up for the first time, I take the system drive out, image it to a file using something like Ghost, then put the system drive back, resulting in a perfect image of when it came from the factory. This way I can restore back to a factory image in the event something goes wrong, without the need to worry about networking trouble or not having a monitor. Do you think this would work?

Price: I saw a few months ago the Acer being sold for $350, and a little before that there was a deal for 2TB for $400. I can't find it for less than 1TB for $400. Are there any deals still going on, or will I have to pay MSRP?

Thanks.

-Cool-

I bought my parents an H340, it just runs in the background doing its own thing at their home.

I do not personally recall the drive lights flickering; I believe it is simply on if the bay is populated and that the color of the light will change based on the the health of the drive. I cannot say I am 100% on this one.

Yes, you can mod a video out cable to work with the mobo.

Imaging, Price: Sorry, got nothing for you.

I would check out this site

Back