Questions about doing ye olde metal briefcase mod

ar1550

2[H]4U
Obviously [H] search is down, and Google is giving me a bunch of retailers trying to sell plain old computer cases when I search there, otherwise I wouldn't post a new thread about what must be a perpetual subject.

I've got almost an entire decent PC lying around in parts...
ECS K7S5A
AXP 1600+
512MB PC2100
40 GB Seagate Barccuda IV
300W Enermax standard ATX PS

I pretty much want to throw get a CDRW or DVD drive and a Radeon 9600 Pro AIW, creating a decent LAN/pseudo-HT rig. If I want to do any heavy processing, I can transfer files over to my main system (in sig) for divx-ing/DVD authoring if need be.

I was planning to completely sell off the system, but after carrying around my new Xaser III tower, weighed down with 4HDDs etc, to a few lans, I'm very tempted put together a briefcase PC. I already dumped $500 in upgrades last month, so I don't want to have to spend extra cash on a microatx mobo or a smaller power supply. That means I need to find a briefcase large enough to house a K7S5A (304mm*244mm according to the web site, AKA 12.5"x10"), a full size ATX PS (I don't trust myself to mod a PS). Any recommendations? Extra cookies if it's something available at Home Depot, Target, or (ugh) Walmart. I don't mind if it's freakishly large, as long as it is wel-made and has a handle :) I might even through on a VESA-capable mount on the side, that way I can just screw my 213T onto the side when I'm ready to LAN, so a case that would provide a wide-sturdy base for that would be welcome.
I can't believe I went through several pages on Google without finding a guide for how to build one of these, so any links would come in handy (or pictures of your case, and of course links to forum threads are helpful too). I've got a crappy midATX case that I replaced a month ago; I probably couldn't even resell it because it was damaged in shipping & I didn't care enough to RMA it, so I can plunder a removable mobo tray and possibly some drive rails, so hopefully this will be relatively easy, if I can get a case (I've never modded anything, really).

I don't think you're going to get many replies on this because it's just not something that can be nailed down to a step-by-step procedure. The construction would be unique to your particular case and hardware.

Things to keep in mind are adequate ventilation, grounding (all components should be grounded together), and avoiding shorts (don't let circuit traces touch the metal case).

As for finding a case, I've been keeping an eye out for similar metal suitcases for a future mod. In my case (ha! a pun!) I want to put an LCD display in the lid (on the inside) and maybe even have room to tuck a small keyboard and mouse inside the case for travel (ONE case for a LAN party!). They're very tough to find, at least affordably. There are some several-hundred-dollar ones at a few retailers, or tiny briefcase sized ones at office stores. Your best bet will be to keep an eye out at garage sales and second hand stores. Perhaps you can find a case that used to hold some obsolete/broken expensive equipment or tools.

Google on metal luggage if you want to see what I'm talking about. It's expen$ive!

Lowe's carries a toolbox that's basically a nice metal briefcase/suitcase for $30. It's plenty big inside, and last time I checked it even came with a shoulder stap.

Another factor you should consider, is that most of these lower cost 'aluminum' toolcases are not, in fact, made of aluminum. It's almost completely likely made out of some sort of light wood (fiber or otherwise) with a thin aluminum sheet on top (all of 1/16" likely)...

Point is, I'd wonder how sturdy one of those things would be when all the components are in there, if any variety of reinforcing the sides/panels might be necessary or not-May be more likely depending how much of the toolcase you're considering to hack up to make holes for cards/ventilation/fans.

I layed a metal plate into the bottom, used long threaded standoffs, and bolted them thru the bottom of the case. As for making everything fit, I just moved stuff around before doing any cutting and mounting untill it all fit in. It helps to have a cheapie case you no longer need, as you can scavage many parts from one and make things go very easy.

I agree with TomL... after I built my toolbox pc, I realized that it is all based on your current hardware, and your budget.

If I had enough money, I could have stuck an LCD behind the lid of my toolbox. But unfortunately I didn't.

For my case, I had the following hardware that I wanted to fit into the case:

FULL size Abit NF7 motherboard
Radeon 9800
1 120GB WD HDD
Thermaltake 480 watt Power supply
2 optical drives - burner/cd
full watercooling system - rad, pump, blocks, hoses, fill & bleed
4 80mm fans
side lights, baybus, and switches.

I managed to fit everything in there, although a tight squeeze, it seems to work well. I am still not finished with it, once I am I will make a new thread. But here is a teaser:

Comp%20002.jpg

i'd go with that acrylic briefcase
its gonna be much lighter than anyything else you can buy and its sturdy
not to mention it looks really cool
you can still mod it and it will look amazing

thats what i'd do

Originally posted by Muttsta

thats what i'd do
$149 + $25 shipping :eek:
I was thinking of spending around $50 on the case
I don't really care what it looks like, I want to do this because it will be useful, and because I want to do some modding.

Originally posted by Muttsta

thats what i'd do

no it wont

acrylic is pretty heavy, and it doesnt look cool at all, it looks like a nest of wires, and youll probabily be mistaken for a terrorist carrying something lookin like that down the street

Back