Questioning an upgrade

aranlong

n00b
Hi, my current setup has been doing well but i would like to move to intel from amd.

current setup : amd 1090t black edition, xfx hd6850, asus m4a78lt-m motherboard, samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hard drive, WD 160gb storage drive, galaxy 3 atx case, 600w stealthxstream ocz psu, 8gb patriot 1333 ram.

There are a few reasons i want to upgrade 1. I record music and would like a more reliable and more powerful pc 2. I would like to use my current pc with my new internet to host game servers for me and some friends to play on 3. I would like another pc for friends to play on when they come over 4. I would like a quieter smaller itx intel pc.

Potential setup : I7 2700k, (recycle) xfx 6850, (recycle) 1tb samsung hdd, 8gb corsair 1600 ram, 500w psu (swap with 600 from old system), ASUS P8H61-I (REV 3.0) mb.

My question is do you think i should spend the $600 or so to upgrade or should i stick with what i have currently?

Last edited:
Might want to come up with a legit first reason. ;)

As for the other three reasons, it's largely dependent on badly you want a mITX PC, how badly you need a spare PC for friends to game on, and how badly you want to be able to host games without it affecting the performance of the main PC. So how badly do you want those?

If you have the money to spare and if you truly and without a doubt need to have a spare gaming PC, a mITX PC, and the ability to host servers without affecting the performance of the system itself, then yes, go spend that money.

But I have to ask: If you're reusing the XFX HD 6850, do you have a spare video card for that AMD setup? Or are you planning on making your friend play using the onboard video?

However, even if you don't upgrade the platform, I'd still recommend getting a new PSU considering that the PSU you have now isn't that good in the first place. The OCZ StealthXStream was based on the FSP Episilon platform which could only provide 500W of power safely. And even then it wasn't all that good. So I'd still replace that PSU. Something like this will do:
$63 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

As for your planned setup, it's not that great. If you're going to go through with the new PC, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Hi i have a hd5770 from a friend to put in the old rig

Also, whats not that great about the new system other than the psu, The graphics? Because i dont play at 1080p so i can run any game at the moment fairly well

Also, whats not that great about the new system other than the psu, The graphics? Because i dont play at 1080p so i can run any game at the moment fairly well

The CPU and motherboard combination, especially: The H61 chipset does not allow overclocking at all - but you picked an expensive CPU that thrives on heavy overclocking. That makes that entire system a waste of money.

Also, the RAM that you picked may be a 1.65V model. DIMM voltages above 1.575V can - and do - cause permanent damage to the CPU and shorten the usable life significantly. You did not specify which Corsair RAM you're planning to use with your planned build, especially since Corsair offers both 1.5V and 1.65V versions of their DDR3-1600 RAM.

Pretty much what E4g1e said: The CPU and mobo are a horrible combination unless you're somehow able to find the 2700K for substantially cheaper than the Core i7 3770 or Core i7 2600.

You did not specific which RAM you were going with. Unfortunately Corsair still has some 1.65V RAM in the market and those are not usable for an Intel setup.

Back