question with my fx 5900 xt

waazzuupp

Weaksauce
i got a good deal on my xfx fx 5900 xt and i installed it in my computer. i installed the newest drivers. When i started my computer a pop up said that my computer had insufficiant power to give to the graphics card. I have a good mobo, about a year and a half old. i have a amd 1.6 ghz processor and then theres my graphics card. Is it true that you need a better power supply to give to these new graphics cards? i have never heard of that. well i'm like, hey, i have a 5900 so it should still beet the crap out of my old ati 8500LE card. well i started up Americas Army:Operations and guess what NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE! yea, my brand new card made no change in fps. is it that my power supply forced my card to set its settings way low? well, the pop up said it was goin to lower its performance but dang, i didn't think to that of a older card. I'm really mad and i guess i will have to buy a new power suppy but i was wondering if any of you gurus could help me out and give me some advice as to why the bad performance out of my card. please.........
thank you

Erm, if it works at all, it should be better I guess still. Are you sure you don't have VSync turned on? That will keep your FPS from looking terribly different once you hit your monitor's refresh rate even when the card does better. (Hehe, I ran benchmark after benchmark wondering why it sucked so bad until I finally realized I forgot to turn off VSync.) d-:

Did you plug in the card's power connector? If so it may not be making contact, try replugging a few times. And with that 1.6 you may not see much difference anyway, the term "CPU Bound" may be happening here.

You need either to hook up the power connector on the video card or get a new power supply. Basically, for any of the newer video cards that take extra power a 350W+ PSU is recommended.

Back