Question on Tight Timings vs Memory Bandwidth

On the Lam

Limp Gawd
I run an A64 3200+ @ 2.4Ghz (240 x 10) and when I get my RAM, would probably like to run 250 x 10

I've got a 1GB (512mb x 2) kit of OCZ Plat Rev.2 on the way, and was wondering what would be better:

RAM on 1:1 with loose timings (eg 2.5-3-3-7) or
RAM on 5:6 with tight timings (eg 2-2-2-5)

Looking to maximize gaming performance, because that's where I would notice.

Thanks!

drop the cpu multi to 9x and see how high you can get the ram at 2.5-3-3 with the ratio at 1:1 :D
i wouldn't be surprised if you top out the cpu by hitting 267mhz at 2.5-3-3 :)

(cf)Eclipse said:
drop the cpu multi to 9x and see how high you can get the ram at 2.5-3-3 with the ratio at 1:1 :D
i wouldn't be surprised if you top out the cpu by hitting 267mhz at 2.5-3-3 :)

That didn't answer the question, silly.

Well with a margin as little as 40MHz between 1:1 and 5:6, I think you would be better off with the tighter timings.

Bona Fide said:
That didn't answer the question, silly.
i know, but it gave him a better option.. even if the total difference will only be like 1-2% at most unless you're running memory benches ;)

Thanks guys, it seems both of you have differing opinions on this. I only use benches to see that I am running everything at par, but would definitely get more out of 'noticing' an increase in performance visually (in games).

Anyone want to tie-break?

On the Lam said:
Thanks guys, it seems both of you have differing opinions on this. I only use benches to see that I am running everything at par, but would definitely get more out of 'noticing' an increase in performance visually (in games).

Anyone want to tie-break?

Not differing opinions. Eclipse is absolutely right, but my post caters more to your question rather than introducing a new option. If you can, go with Eclipse's suggestion. It will yield better performance than either of your's. :)

Bona Fide said:
my post caters more to your question rather than introducing a new option
i'm all about making new options, but yes, you definitly answered the question :cool:

So basically,

267x9 = 2.4Ghz
1:1
HTT x (3 or 4?) (801 or 1068?)
DDR534

2.5-3-3

This would be better than either config in my first post, provided I can do it?

On the Lam said:
So basically,

267x9 = 2.4Ghz
1:1
HTT x (3 or 4?) (801 or 1068?)
DDR534

2.5-3-3

This would be better than either config in my first post, provided I can do it?

HTT 3x at first to make sure you can do it, then switch it to 4x if you can. And yes it will be better.

Edit - If it's TCCD, you should be able to do DDR534 at 2.5-3-2, but try 2.5-3-3 first.

Bona Fide said:
Edit - If it's TCCD, you should be able to do DDR534 at 2.5-3-2, but try 2.5-3-3 first.
i doubt that.. tccd is rated for 2.5-3-3 at 250mhz.. some can't get too much above that, you have some awesome sticks, way above average if you ask me :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
i doubt that.. tccd is rated for 2.5-3-3 at 250mhz.. some can't get too much above that, you have some awesome sticks, way above average if you ask me :D

I'm pretty sure TCCD is rated for 2.5-3-3 at 275MHz. That's what the G.Skill sticks at Newegg are anyway. DDR550 @ 2.5-3-3-7 or DDR600 @ 2.5-4-4-8 :)

Bona Fide said:
I'm pretty sure TCCD is rated for 2.5-3-3 at 275MHz. That's what the G.Skill sticks at Newegg are anyway. DDR550 @ 2.5-3-3-7 or DDR600 @ 2.5-4-4-8 :)
the LE? yeah. they're binned. trust me, TCCD is 250mhz at 2.5-3-3.. i think -7
TCC5 is the same thing as TCCD, but at 233mhz instead of 250 :D

Bona Fide said:

Anybody selling TCCDs above 250 Mhz has binned the parts.

EDIT: If they don't bin parts and they're selling above 250 Mhz, don't buy from them.

Well I meant post-binning. Sorry, didn't realize you meant right out of the factory. :)

Bona Fide said:
HTT 3x at first to make sure you can do it, then switch it to 4x if you can. And yes it will be better.

So basically you guys are telling me that Higher Memory Bandwidth is more beneficial than Low Latencies, since both of you guys agreed that I should run a higher FSB with looser timings?

it's a matter of finding the best balance between mhz and timings. with tccd, that's usually with 2.5-3-3. don't forget that overall latency is dependant on mhz too ;)

Always go for the bandwidth. (if you have the choice- i.e. you have a stick of pc4000 and are deciding whether to run @ 200 tight or 250 "loose". If you have a stick of pc3200 that doesnt overclock very well, make the timings the best you can and stick with 200) And like eclipse said, latency is less the higher the frequency goes so 2-2-2-5 @ 200 could actually report a higher latency than 3-3-3-8 @ 250 although in reality they are probably pretty close (somewhere around 45-50ns)
If you look at reviews of pc4000 memory you 'll see in the benchmarks the highest framerates with the memory running at the fastest speed. i.e pc3200 @ 2-2-2-5 might get 90 fps in Doom3.....the pc4000 @ 3-3-3-8 will get 95 fps.
Hope I got that right.
(awaiting the smackdown)

close enough, though i think a 5fps delta is pushing it :)

also, 2-2-2 at 250mhz ~= 2.5-3-3 at 300mhz in terms of overall performance

:p
You think more? You think less? It's usually not very different from what I read. A few frames per second here and there.

I think the point is getting across about timings vs speed. All of these A64 people worried about timings gonna freak out when they have to start shopping for DDR2. :D

wrangler said:
All of these A64 people worried about timings gonna freak out when they have to start shopping for DDR2. :D
you speak the scary truth ;)
i'm personally looking forward to ddr2, but i think a lot of people still have the old ideas of "ddr2 = bad" in their head. oh well. when M2 comes out, it should settle everything

and i think it'll be less, but i guess it kinda depends on the settings :cool:

I allways try to hit a mid setting on the memory timeings like 2.5 3337 etc then push it far as it can go you get the best of both worlds that way... allways keep the 1t and 4t and start rasing the fsb from there. Btw I have a x2 3800 oc'ed 2.6 ghz with a 7800 getting over 9k in 3dmark 2005 useing these rules.

Back