Question on buying an IBM m1015.

SirMaster

2[H]4U
Do you think it matters whether I try to find one with a 2012 date sticker on it vs a 2010?

Do you think the 2012 one would last longer because it's newer and likely used less?

I'll be flashing it to pass-through mode anyways.

Just curious about your thoughts.

I doubt it'll make much difference. A lot of the M1015s you find on ebay have been pulled from servers by companies that replaced them with different cards, so likely may never have been used (that was how I got my 5 M1015s a couple of years ago).

The biggest risk is that a some of these cards may have been thrown (literally) into a box - if a company buys a huge number of Dell or Sun machines in bulk, and tears them down to remove the cards, people may not care if they get tossed into a box with no protection. Age of manufacture won't matter in this case! :)

With that said, I haven't heard of M1015 failures in this forum - they must be pretty sturdy!

BTW, one of my M1015s was missing an LED on the PCB - with a magnifying glass I could tell it was ripped out - must've been thrown in a box and landed funny! The card still works! :D

Back