Question for the Old Schoolers...(circa TNT2 M64 and MDR20)

forcemac101

[H]ard|Gawd
Alrighty, my dad has this aging p3-650 that I keep telling him he has to give up. Its an old Gateway that came with one of the first Flat Panel Displays, a FPD-1500 that uses an MDR20 connection. From what I can gather, the MDR20 is DVI on one end (at the tower, and MDR20 on the other end (looks like HDMI). ( I can't actually look at the tower and cable, as he lives in another town, so I am stuck lookin on the internet at photos)

I am building him a new computer from some spare parts laying around my house, I am using the following motherboard and processor:

Intel 865GLC board
2.4 P4 (non-ht)

What I want to know, and I can't seem to find, is the TNT2 M64 going to fry the new motherboard if I stick it in (ie. is it 3.3 volt or will it work at 1.5)? Regardless if does match up voltage wise, I would almost rather stick something in there a little newer than a TNT2. I can get my hands on a Matrox 550 for $40, although it seems a bit steep for kind of card. This brings up the next question, if I get a card with a standard DVI output, should it work? I think it should...but I don't if there was anything proprietery in it.....I would still have the orginal cable...

Anyhow, lots of thanks if someone can help me out.

If the card has 2 notches, it's almost certainly compatible with both AGP2x/4x and AGP4x/8x motherboards. The chip still only runs at AGP2x though. If you want to be safe, here is a Creative Graphics Blaster TNT2 Pro 16MB AGP4x with DVI out for $19 shipped: http://www.smartcart.com/BERKUN/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=GB+RIVA+TNT+PRO

The bigger problem is that I have never seen a TNT2 M64 card that has a DVI connector. The NV6 doesn't have a built in TMDS transmitter and if you have a card with a DVI connector it's probably a DVI-A connector.

edit: ignore that other junk i posted before, i misread your post. :p

Back