question for people using watercooling

weapon--

Gawd
I am about to build a new test loop for testing heatercore performance and I am curious as to what pumps everyone is using. Just give me the manufacturer and the model number and I'll look up the specs on head and flow (unless you have the specs handy -- if you do please post them).

I think my current pump is probably a bit more than most use so I don't want to throw off my test results for the majority of systems by having a sizable flow or head advantage - i.e. my current pump is rated for 714gph through 1" ID tube at 4ft of head...

I'm guessing that most use 1/2" ID tubing and about 3-4 feet of tubing with a jet impingement style block. If this info doesnt sound right to anyone, please post otherwise.

thanks

hydor L20, I have a bonneville heatercore and spri@l waterblock with a t-line to fill, it works perfect. i had a mag3 and it had no advantage at all for my setup.

I'm using a Laing D4 (the 12V pump Danger Den sells) with a Dtek Pro Core, White Water, Dtek Chipset block, and a T-line. WIll be a res next time I end up changing the water though. :)

lol thanks kronch, liking the cork ;), you know you could go to Tap PLastics and buy a cover for it for like .75?

flip

I'd use a marble... that cork doesn't look very water tight :p

Hydor L30 here... i also own a Johnson Pump (if you're familiar with procooling.com you'd probably know what i'm talking about... i don't have the specs handy)
Running custom CPU block... took the GPU block out of the loop. Chevette '86 heatercore/custom res.

diredesire said:
I'd use a marble... that cork doesn't look very water tight :p

Hydor L30 here... i also own a Johnson Pump (if you're familiar with procooling.com you'd probably know what i'm talking about... i don't have the specs handy)
Running custom CPU block... took the GPU block out of the loop. Chevette '86 heatercore/custom res.

im not turning it upside down, its fine :p

I use MCP600 rev.2 in an external unit. It's on and running but not cooling the computer. Can push a lot of water thru 2 heatercores to dual Floppy. Haven't tried connecting it to the blocks to lazy/kind of scared to cut off some metal from my case.

Kronchev = corky why???

Eheim 1250

You guys went way ghetto on the t-Line

I bought a Pipe fitting that's 1/2" barb- 1/2" threaded female fitting, and a 1/2" pipe plug. It's water tight(should be since that's what it was made for). I'll throw up a pic when I get home.

Cost less than $2

dolphin dp650 pump here. it's alright, except it isn't shielded (found out the hard way, put it in my case, turned it on, and monitor started flickering pretty bad. luckily no hd damage) and i cracked the housing, so i can't use it inline until i fix it. pumps some pretty good water, just needs some adaptors to run 1/2" tubing. (you know, 1" -> 1/2" bushing, and new barbs) i was running 5/8" tubing with it, but then my chip croaked and i haven't replaced it yet, and i'm working on a new block.

specs on the box say 11 ft max head, 650gph @ 0 ft, and ~500gph @ 4 ft. i think this is running submerged with 3/4" tubing on the output.

I'd tell ya my specs, but I guess that would be kinda pointless since you put it together... ;)

arDAWG said:
I'd tell ya my specs, but I guess that would be kinda pointless since you put it together... ;)
hmmm... 6 feet of 1/2" ID copper pipe, a 700gph+ pump, about 8 feet of 1/2" ID clearflex, a 5 gallon res, a weaponized bonneville heatercore with about 205cfm shooting thru the core with the fans on their own independent power suppy, two cases separated by a fricken wall, one case being over 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep that weighs in at over 150lbs....with the end result being a watercooling system that spans 2 rooms and has the curious ability to run the CPU at several degrees C below ambient case temps in winter with no pelts or phase change despite every voltage mod known to man.

ardawgy, for some reason, I get the feeling that I shouldn't include your setup in the math for figuring out a test system that is supposed to capture the performance of the standard H2O cooling system...

:p

rogue_jedi, thanks, i was thinking about getting that pump too! So what did you do to shield it?

weapon-- said:
hmmm... 6 feet of 1/2" ID copper pipe, a 700gph+ pump, about 8 feet of 1/2" ID clearflex, a 5 gallon res, a weaponized bonneville heatercore with about 205cfm shooting thru the core with the fans on their own independent power suppy, two cases separated by a fricken wall, one case being over 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep that weighs in at over 150lbs....with the end result being a watercooling system that spans 2 rooms and has the curious ability to run the CPU at several degrees C below ambient case temps in winter with no pelts or phase change despite every voltage mod known to man.

ardawgy, for some reason, I get the feeling that I shouldn't include your setup in the math for figuring out a test system that is supposed to capture the performance of the standard H2O cooling system...

:p
By the way, I just wanted to say my weaponized heatercore is sweet!! I have a single 120mm antec fan on it that came with my case, and it dissipates all the heat with no troubles. I'm finally going to mount the pump this weekend since I finally got a replacement mobo for my dead NF7-S v2. I think the pump puts out more heat than my proc though. :p

Hadez026 said:
rogue_jedi, thanks, i was thinking about getting that pump too! So what did you do to shield it?

uh... i didn't? i just left it submerged in the bucket. (cause of the cracked housing) and it hasn't caused any problems (yet). you could shield it by covering it with *grounded* aluminum foil, you just have to be careful about heat, but it shouldn't be a problem with water flowing through it.

just correct me if i'm wrong here:) i shielded the amp board in my computer/stereo using this method and it worked, so i'm assuming it works for other stuff as well.

NewBlackDak said:
By the way, I just wanted to say my weaponized heatercore is sweet!! I have a single 120mm antec fan on it that came with my case, and it dissipates all the heat with no troubles. I'm finally going to mount the pump this weekend since I finally got a replacement mobo for my dead NF7-S v2. I think the pump puts out more heat than my proc though. :p
I was seriously considering sending you an email to see how your cooling system was working out as I haven't heard from you in a while -- it's good to hear the heatercore is taking care of the heatload with no probs.

If you want to add some more cool stuff to your NF7, check out the chipset, mosfet, PLL and micro sinks from microcool - I just got in a couple of them (I had to order some more thermal epoxy & while I was at the sidewinder site, I came across the new silver-colored microcool sinks and could not resist ordering some). I installed the first batch on my NF7 and I am definitely going to order some more for my other boards. All of the microcool sinks I got are very well made and have a nice finished look to them. The thing that sets them apart is they are all obviously different scaled versions of the same family of sinks. The microsinks look just like the mosfet sinks but they are about 1/3 of the size of the mosfet versions. They really seems to help cool off the smaller chips on the board (esp. when your OCin' and overvolting) and they look really good once installed. I was really surprised at how much better the board looked with them on there. Check em out:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/memandvidcar.html

rogue_jedi said:
uh... i didn't? i just left it submerged in the bucket. (cause of the cracked housing) and it hasn't caused any problems (yet). you could shield it by covering it with *grounded* aluminum foil, you just have to be careful about heat, but it shouldn't be a problem with water flowing through it.

just correct me if i'm wrong here:) i shielded the amp board in my computer/stereo using this method and it worked, so i'm assuming it works for other stuff as well.
afaik, aluminum is not the best material for sheilding against EMI - if you want to give these a try, they might give you better results -
super shield - spray-on anti-emi??
http://www.web-tronics.com/12ozaersupsh.html
^ i have ordered quite a bit of stuff from webtronics and they have always been a good company to deal with (not to mention the fact that they load up a bunch of chemicals that are great for OC'in on one website.

trip to the local hobby lobby?
they had some copper foil at the local snobby lobby store and I have used it to shield this and that. works great

one that will require some searchin':
eons ago, I modded the h311 out of my stratocaster with a ton of active electronics. the problem I ran into was interference from outside sources as the super-sensitive electronics seemed to be able to pickup fricken anything (including nearby radio stations..) anyway, I found some copper foil sheet that already had a mean adhesive applied to the back of it at a mail order musician's supply store - I added that to the compartment walls that enclosed the electronics in the stratocaster and it killed the interference completely. I have no idea where to get it now but it was fairly cheap back then and it worked very well. cool stuff.

thin copper box?
you could likely go to onlinemetals.com, order some thin gauge copper sheet and just bend it into a box shape that would enclose your pump - that should stop the interference on the spot and it would be fairly cheap.

for the record, there are a lot of pumps that are intended for use in an aquarium that are not EMI shielded (and there is no reason for them to be EMI shielded considering the primary use intended by the manufacturer). I haven't checked the newer models, but the older Danner mag drives didnt have a damn bit of EMI shielding and they caused all kinds of interesting shat to happen on monitors. Any of the above methods for blocking that interference should be fairly effective -- if nothing else, they will be one helluva lot more than that provided by the factory. :D

Back