Question for 3.0C CPU owners

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
I am going to purchase an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe board and i was wondering with the stock (retail) cooling about how much OC'ing can you do and keep the temp sub ~60C. I will be running Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB sticks of mem. With your personal experiences is it possible to push the cpu to about 3.4ghz no prob?

the 3ghz cpu are known for running hot with stock cooling so i wouldn't recommend you oc without a new heatsink and fan
but with the proper cooling i don't think it will be difficult at all to get it up to 3.4ghz and maybe more :)

Someone I know online got theirs to 3.6ghz, and 3.55ghz totally stable on air.

What's funny is how you mention ^^^ they run hot. Personally, I think Intel just creates one chip, weeds out the worst, medium, and best. Then they change the multiplier and throw it in a box. This would explain why the 3.0C would run "hot" and how certain 2.4ghz chips could get to 3.0C overclock speeds (3.6).

slap a thermalright sp-94 and a 92mm tornado on that 3.0 and with some luck you get that sucker up to 1000mhz FSB, about 3.725 ghz.

I dont know if this will help at all but my 2.8c did 3200 with totally stock cooling (including the thermal pad I mean) at just over 50C load.

If you do plan on overclocking much I too would recommend the sp94. With the sp94/AS/medium flow 92mm fan, Im about 10C cooler with 200mhz more of an oc (just over 40C load at 3.4). The sp94 is a great heatsink. It doesnt even need a stupidly loud tornado :) to perform well.

p.s. my 2.8c does 250fsb without getting very hot (less than 60C) but I gotta up the vcore for it to run 100% stable (will run most games and prime95 etc but crashes on some sandra tests). I decided just to leave it a stock vcore and 243mhz fsb.

p.p.s. with the xms3200 you would be better off getting a good heatsink and trying for as close to 250 as you can get at 5:4 cause it doesnt overclock worth a crap unless you got the older bh5 chips in it. A medium oc with your ram underclocked would probably be worse for your overall performance than just going as high as possible with it at 1:1 (only about 206mhz for my corsair 3200).

Back