question about windows 7 aero and dual display lag in games?

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
ok i finally decided to install windows 7 on my main gaming rig after using it since first beta release on my laptop.. but this craps really started to drive me insane.. i had absolutely no problems with dual displays in XP.. but for some reason running dual display's in windows 7 and trying to play games cause them to lag like heck.. frame rates keep fluctuating.. could be getting 60-90 fps in a game and then all of a sudden the frame rate will drop to 20-30 fps for no reason and go back up to 60-90 fps..
it does not do this when i disable my left display and i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they found a way to fix it in the nvidia console or a setting in windows 7..

stuff ive done so far..
disabled superfetch (helped a little bit)
set the nvidia drivers to max performance instead of adaptive (helped a little)
set nvidia drivers to single display performance mode(this helped in XP but seems to have no effect in windows 7)

so if anyone has some idea's id really appreciate it because its pointless to have dual displays if i cant even use the second display when im playing games and ill quit gaming before i ever get rid of my second display..

Well from what you said, this is obviously some kind of driver issue. It would be a likely assumption that the Windows 7 nVidia drivers aren't quite as mature as your older XP drivers. I wouldn't point the finger at Windows, but rather nVidia for releasing drivers that aren't on-par with XP-based drivers.

If you haven't already, update to the latest driver. If you already did that, try and use a beta driver to see if that makes any difference.

are you using the nvidia control panel or the windows "screen resolution" to setup your monitors?

yeah i figured it was mostly the drivers since ive had nothing but trouble with nvidia's drivers.. which is why i stuck with the 186.18 drivers in xp.. but i tried the 195.62 drivers and they were insanely worse then the 191.07 drivers in windows 7.. so thats what im using right now..

yeah im using nvidia to control the displays because windows kept freaking out because im not running the same monitors/sizes.. running at 19" LCD for the left display and a 24" LCD for the right display..

i found out the issue.. was actually windows 7 that was the problem that it was screwing up the priority setting for boinc and was giving it to much cpu resources when higher priority programs were running.. never had this problem with windows xp so i never bothered to think of it til now..

Back