Question about Switch for CCNA looking at the 2950

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
From what I gather the 2950 is the switch to have for the CCNA? I am looking on ebay and see that it is fairly cheap. Now my question is what should I look for in the switch, like what is the IOS you want? from my understanding there are regular IOS and enhanced IOS and you want the enterprise enhanced version? is that correct?

certain models such as the 2950T use the enhanced IOS?

also do the 2950's support the Cisco SDM?

I was looking at something like this, the 2950T Cisco Catalyst WS-C2950T-24 CCNA CCNP CCVP 2950 2950T - eBay (item 170549509839 end time Oct-16-10 09:37:02 PDT)

Would that be the switch I want?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2950 series data sheet - the models that support the enhanced image

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...ps628/product_data_sheet09186a00801cfb64.html

yes, you'll want one of those with the enhanced image. although, for a lab environment, I'd save yourself about half of that and go with a 2950C. Same thing, just a little slower throughput.

and no, switches don't support SDM.

Later on, for your CCNP, you'll want to pick up a 3550 with an enhanced image. Just about the cheapest layer 3 switch you'll find. That will run you about $250.

Wendell Odom has an awesome series on lab gear for the CCNA/CCNP on his site www.certskills.com. Click the tab at the top that says "lab gear".

2950 series data sheet - the models that support the enhanced image

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...ps628/product_data_sheet09186a00801cfb64.html

yes, you'll want one of those with the enhanced image. although, for a lab environment, I'd save yourself about half of that and go with a 2950C. Same thing, just a little slower throughput.

and no, switches don't support SDM.

Later on, for your CCNP, you'll want to pick up a 3550 with an enhanced image. Just about the cheapest layer 3 switch you'll find. That will run you about $250.

Wendell Odom has an awesome series on lab gear for the CCNA/CCNP on his site www.certskills.com. Click the tab at the top that says "lab gear".

Thanks for the info. The 2950C is slower and uses the 100base-FX uplink ports, looks like a good switch to me.

keep in mind that with the CCNA, you're gonna want to work with vtp(vlan trunking protocol) so you will want to have probably 3 switches for that, so you can set them in server/client/transparant modes, and change different stuff on them. You will want to set up router on a stick, so you will need at least 2 switches for that, so you can route between vlans, you will also need a router with at least one fast ethernet port(100 meg, or better), so i think a good router for that is the 2600XM series. I have a couple of them actually. I think they are 2621's. (i forget).

good luck man.

Heres a pic of a lab i have at home. I dont know how recent this is, but still..I have a nice rack too..

IMG_1644.jpg

looking to get a nice rack also, any suggestions?

something that could support a norco-4020 would be nice.

Nice I will look into it. The Skeletek racks i take it are popular for CCNA labs.

I need one that can support and not fall backwards with a huge Norco-4020 case on the bottom.

you could mount that 4U server right to the bottom of the rack, and it won't be going anywhere.

Skeletek racks rock:

39429584161649052841023.jpg

Bad image, I know. But I have a C20 on the bottom and a C16 on top and I used all the space for my network and Cisco Lab. I found this site from searching for pics of people using Skeletek racks.

Skeletek racks rock:

39429584161649052841023.jpg

Bad image, I know. But I have a C20 on the bottom and a C16 on top and I used all the space for my network and Cisco Lab. I found this site from searching for pics of people using Skeletek racks.

nice, but you need as better pic man lol.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am definitely looking into a rack.

I also want it to have a shelf where I can put my 19" monitor and keyboard/mouse for control. Those sliding ones with the built in laptop, i think they are called consoles are very expensive.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am definitely looking into a rack.

I also want it to have a shelf where I can put my 19" monitor and keyboard/mouse for control. Those sliding ones with the built in laptop, i think they are called consoles are very expensive.

Yes, they are very expensive. I think there a couple of thousand dollars. Well, unless you want a full size rack, what is the point of having a monitor, and keyboard on a rack? It will just look weird, take up valuable rack space, and to be honest, it's not very comfortable to stand while doing console work, and it would be a little awkward to sit by the rack too.

As far as doing command line stuff, once you do the initial configs with a console cable(which has you limited because of how short the console cables are), anyway, once you get the basic configs set up, you can ssh or telnet into the devices from a local computer. Just get on the same subnet, hook your shit up to a switch, and you can remote manage from a workstation all day long. Genius!

that being said, we buy a lot of black box gear, because it is quality and has a lifetime warranty. It's more expensive, but at least you can get an idea of what you might want. Here is a link to shelves on their website.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/search-shelf``si_product/Cabinets-Racks/n-4294965579

Just get packet tracer. I believe Cisco is on version 5.2 now. It will save you money and space. It is perfectly fine for learning VTP, STP, setting up switch and small route environments. No sense in paying all of that money for physical routers and switches when you dont necessarily need to just yet.

I agree with kwmarc. It didn't make much of a difference having the actual equipment compared to using Packet Tracer. BUT, if you have never had your hands on a Cisco switch or router, I would recommend getting a 29XX series to learn with.

http://blog.mjwired.com

Just get packet tracer. I believe Cisco is on version 5.2 now. It will save you money and space. It is perfectly fine for learning VTP, STP, setting up switch and small route environments. No sense in paying all of that money for physical routers and switches when you dont necessarily need to just yet.

I plan to use GNS3 and some physical switches.

Of course I will play with packet tracer also.

Yes, they are very expensive. I think there a couple of thousand dollars. Well, unless you want a full size rack, what is the point of having a monitor, and keyboard on a rack? It will just look weird, take up valuable rack space, and to be honest, it's not very comfortable to stand while doing console work, and it would be a little awkward to sit by the rack too.

As far as doing command line stuff, once you do the initial configs with a console cable(which has you limited because of how short the console cables are), anyway, once you get the basic configs set up, you can ssh or telnet into the devices from a local computer. Just get on the same subnet, hook your shit up to a switch, and you can remote manage from a workstation all day long. Genius!

that being said, we buy a lot of black box gear, because it is quality and has a lifetime warranty. It's more expensive, but at least you can get an idea of what you might want. Here is a link to shelves on their website.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/search-shelf``si_product/Cabinets-Racks/n-4294965579

I don't know, I just thought it would look kinda cool and be convenient, this setup below looks cool, you can find it over at the tech exams lab setup thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-14.html

ServerRackNarrow.jpg

There is an online store selling 2950T switches for about $120 (this one) from "bulk" stock. Looks like the typical New York warehouse, which I have never had a problem with, but I have to wonder if the product is counterfeit given the price. Doesn't Cisco go after counterfeiters aggressively?

Back