Question about ports and monitors

Peat Moss

Gawd
I have a laptop with 2 usb-c ports (one is PD). Neither is thunderbolt. If I get a monitor with a usb-c upstream port, will this power the laptop along with video to the monitor by using just one cable?

Or do I need a thunderbolt port on my laptop?

Kindly give us your Laptops product name.

"PD" only mentiones power but no video capabilities.
"thunderbolt" has been missused into oblivion. So much so that i wouldn´t hazzard a guess without researching your laptops product name.

Kindly give us your Laptops product name.

"PD" only mentiones power but no video capabilities.
"thunderbolt" has been missused into oblivion. So much so that i wouldn´t hazzard a guess without researching your laptops product name.

Lenovo Thinkpad 16" (AMD)

Connectors:

- USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
- USB-A 3.2 Gen 1
- HDMI 2.1 supporting resolution up to 4K@60Hz
- USB-A 3.2 Gen 1
- Ethernet (RJ45)
- Headphone / mic combo
- USB-C 4.0 (power delivery)

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/lapt...16-gen-2-(16-inch-amd)/len101t0076#tech_specs

Thanks !

It uses USB 4.0 which uses the thunderbolt 3.0 standard.
And that one transfers monitor signals.

you are good to go

3 simple monitors with one cable is possible. Dell sells ..G4 and G5 docks that you could use for this. Those docks are easily availabe in the second hand market for XX instead of XXX.

Thanks !

It uses USB 4.0 which uses the thunderbolt 3.0 standard.
And that one transfers monitor signals.

you are good to go

3 simple monitors with one cable is possible. Dell sells ..G4 and G5 docks that you could use for this. Those docks are easily availabe in the second hand market for XX instead of XXX.

Thanks. I didn't realize usb 4 used TB 3 standard. This usb-c stuff is getting really complicated, I can't keep up.

I just plan to connect my monitors to my laptop using one cable, without a dock for now.

Last edited:
Back