Question about new system

devo5676

Limp Gawd
here are the specs for the system im looking into buying and building, some input would be great, generally going to be used for gaming and programing, other things such as a little bit of video editing and maybe studio work with my band, but other than that mostly gaming, thanks for the input

specs:
-Thermaltake Highest Xaser III v1000A(cooling for OCing)
-Gigabyte 875P chipset model:GA-8Ik1100
-ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128DDR
-ATi Tv wonder pro
-Antec True 380w power supply
-P4 3.0c 800mhz FSB HT ready
-Geil 2x512 (1gb) pc3500 DDR433
-Maxtor 160GB harddrive 8mb cache
-Veiwsonic Perfect flat 17inch and a 19inch(dual monitor)
-and Sony cd-rw dvd rom 48-24-48-16

once again, any suggestions would be greatly apperciated

Nice setup.. Wouldn't be easier on your eyes if you use 2 monitors that are the same size?

well the desk i have and how am going to have it set up, it will work fine, i'll just set the refresh rate on both of them the same and, the 19" is goign to be my primary monitor and the 17 is just going to be above it playing a movie or having my AIM up while i have my games up, or POL while on FFXI, ya know? its my birthday gift from my parents they just wanted to keep it under 2k so i had to work with what i was givin, and i came up with this beast, so hopefully it will work out nice, so the hard ware is good in your mind?

yes, im going to be overclocking, im hoping to get the 3.0 to atleast 3.4-3.6 i dunno, im eventually going to have a liquid cooling rig put into the cpu and yea...lol... got alot i have to consider and $$

I may be wrong, but for maybe 10-20 bucks more for an AIW devo could save a few bucks not needing the extra TV card?

Originally posted by Dagis
I may be wrong, but for maybe 10-20 bucks more for an AIW devo could save a few bucks not needing the extra TV card?

Yea.... i was looking into that but then i realized i needed the dual monitor supporting card... therefore i went with the 9800 pro... and i still wanted teh capability to put differnt inputs such as cable, vcr, ps2, xbox into my comp... thats what i have to spend the extra cash on, i know, im selfish..haha:D

i have a question for you tho dagis... do you know anything about the geil ram?

I dont know about geil man

I have had not so great experiences with them, although I will have to say that was long ago. Maybe you should try corsair or OCZ.. I have dealt with OCZ lately and they have went from sketchy to great.

thats a great motherboard, the new revision comes with a 4 pin molex connector attached to the motherboard right next to the agp slot for vid cards that need more power.

thats awesome cause i will need one of those with the 9800 Pro, i changed my case to a Kingwin All Aluminum 10-Bay Mid tower case just because its aluminum and it will stay alot cooler, im going to try this ram and if it doesn't work out i will RMA it and go Corsair, never had a problem with them, any suggestions on cases, that isn't a bad case at all, its cool as well as good looking, i might get a lan boy all aluminum at best buy with my discount cause i work there... but i don't know yet, cuz everyone seems to be getting those now, i might bite the bullet and go lian li, those are pricey tho, suggestions are helpful, keep them coming, one other question, do you think with that board and processor i can get the timings such as 2-2-2-5 out it?

timings dont really matter for p4 systems. Just get the highest bandwidth memory you can

hey, looks good. however, i was also planning to get 2x512MB Geil PC3500 DDR433 RAM for my Athlon64 3200+ as well, but. when i looked on newegg, there were only 256MB sticks for that, so i ended up getting 3 256 MB sticks of that...so just look around

also, Geil RAM is good ( www.anandtech.com click on the Memory tab at the top, and look for their reviews... ). And OCZ has a history of paying for good reviews (so i'm told) so i wouldn't, personally, buy from them.

good luck.

Back