Question about linux's basic graphics software that uses the "Q" command

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Well I have this little homework assignment from school and totally forgot what the name of the graphics gui program used to output my C++ homework.

The command to activate the gui is "Q homework.cpp" from terminal?

I am installing ubuntu right now so I am not sure if it is built into the operating system or not.

Thanks for the input!

I'm not certain, but since you say it's C++ and "Q" and graphics-oriented... I'm guessing it's got something to do with the qt framework?

I truly have no idea what you're talking about.
What sort of output do you get from this? What sort of GUI appears? What can you do with it?

it's the VI editor in all flavors of text editor in unix-like operating systems. "q" is used to quit the program ;)

oh and i feel old for even knowing how to use the vi program. lol

Knowing vi doesn't make you old. Also, you don't pass a filename when you :q out of vi.

Knowing vi doesn't make you old. Also, you don't pass a filename when you :q out of vi.

to be fair, if you pass a filename it will create a new file with that name. You definitely don't Q out of vi though

To the OP - it's possible that Q was just an alias and not an actual binary file (I'm guessing though since no-one has identified the application yet)

I know what he's talking about!!! At my school we use "Q" as a terminal command to compile binaries that use the ultra-primitive Horstmann graphics library in the book "Big C++." It may be used for other stuff, not really sure. Anyways, to the OP, you won't be able to use "Q" by installing Ubuntu. Download the libraries you need from Horstmann's homepage, install x11-dev on Ubuntu, then compile with g++ using the instructions from Horstmann.

I know what he's talking about!!! At my school we use "Q" as a terminal command to compile binaries that use the ultra-primitive Horstmann graphics library in the book "Big C++." It may be used for other stuff, not really sure. Anyways, to the OP, you won't be able to use "Q" by installing Ubuntu. Download the libraries you need from Horstmann's homepage, install x11-dev on Ubuntu, then compile with g++ using the instructions from Horstmann.

Hah, thanks - I was really rather curious. :D

Back