Question about fan wiring. Electric guru's enter

CaNNoN

Gawd
Hello,

This is a general question, but it has to do with fans and fan control so i post here in cooling.

Can you safely, wire like, 3 80mm fans into 1 3 pin molex to plug into a fan controller?

Would the 3 fans get enough juice from the single connection or would that be an over load?

I can solder and connect all 3 fans power and ground wires to one 3 pin molex and run them as one unit, but i need to know if it will be safe and effective.

Thanks

Nate

Should be fine, fans don't suck that many amps. Have you considered wiring them into a single regular molex instead?

Ya i thought about that but the whole point of this 3 into 1 setting is to allow me to contraol more fans with 1 fanbus controller. The fan bus only has 3 pin connections. i could use an adapter but it would he more of a headache than just soldering them into 1 3 pin using some wire.

i have a total of 2 Panaflow 120x38mm 110CFM fans for intake air and 3, 80mm 35CFM fans for exhaust.

i want to put the 2 panaflows on their own power channel and then combine the 3 80mm fans into 1 to control them all at once, then i plan to put my 3rd Panaflow 120x38mm fan on the XP120 heatsink i have and control it with the 4th and final open spot on the fanbus i have.

So in all i will have 6 fans running on a 4 fan fan bus.

Thanks for the input dude.

Nate

welp, i ran all the wiring and tested the cuircut and the fans all run exactly how i wanted them to.

I have 3 80mm fans going to 1 connection on the fan bus and 2 120mm fans on their own connection on the fan bus then i have 1 single 120mm fan on its own connection for the CPU fan and all seems fine.

Used a test PSU to test this out and it works well.

thans for the input man.

Nate

CaNNoN said:
i have a total of 2 Panaflow 120x38mm 110CFM fans for intake air and 3, 80mm 35CFM fans for exhaust.

When I first started reading that I got really scared that those 2 Panaflo's were of the 3 to be put on the same channel. :eek:

But in any event, to be sure you'd have to check the power rating in the specs of your specific fanbus. But if you look at the current rating on the 80mm fans, you'll likely notice that they are about 1/3 of the current rating for your Panaflo's anyway (or just a bit more). So putting those 3 fans on one line is not much different than putting a U1A Panaflo on it anyway.

Pherret said:
I hope you didn't connect all the rpm wires together.

He might get strange if any readings, but it shouldn't hurt anything. After all, the RPM wire is just data, almost no power at all.

EDIT: the panaflow fans i have are rated at a 0.45 A current draw.
The fanbus i have is rated at 1.5A max current per channel.
Think its safe to run 3 of them on a channel or just 2?

no i didnt put the RPM wires together. I split the CPU fan RPM wire to its own 3 pin connector and plugged it into the mobo header. the other two done have RPM wires as i will just go off sound to adjust their RPM,s.

As for the 3 panaflo fans, i have 2 of them running on one channel. Do you think the PC toys 5.25" fan bus will be able to handle those? or even 3 on one channel if i so decide?

the output voltage is 12v, and the apmrage is up to 1.5A

Do you think 12v @ 1.5A will be enough to power those 2 or 3 panaflo fans on a single channel?

i dont know the cirrent draw for these fans, but they are panaflow model FBA 12G 12M fans and i believe they are rated at actually 86cfm but i cannot find a current draw spec for them.

If the fanbus cant handle the load ill upgrade the pots or something or just build a custom fanbus that can handle it, because i have a certain way i am setting this up.

So far it seems to work fine. What kinda possible problems may i see if the 2 or 3 fans draw too much current from the fanbus? Wuld it just fail? or catch fire? :eek:

Any inut would help.

Nate

Back