Question about connecting a USB connector into a motherboard.

Hershy

Gawd
I’m working on my first build.

For the Corsair H150i AIO I was instructed to make 2 connections to the front two USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard.

I was expecting to feel a click when making the connection - but there was never a click, and now I’m not certain if the two connectors are in properly?

I experienced the same thing with the 24-pin power connector. There was never really a click.

I’ve pushed down pretty hard on these connectors (the 2 USB 2.0 connectors and the 24-pin power connector) and the motherboard is actually making a slight creaking noise, a warning sign (it seems) that if I push any harder I’ll crack the board.

Is this normal? No click… just a hard push?

For the 24 pin, if you can't feel a gap between the mobo and the PSU connector it's fine, the USB 2.0 ones never click, as long as you put them on correctly and the devices show up in windows it should be fine.

Th usb 2.0 header connectors on the aio only go one one way properly because of the blocked pin, and they do not click.

The 24 pin usually has a retention latch that connects and clicks. I’d check to be sure visually, the connector is seated against the motherboard. If it is you are fine.

Okay, thanks.

I actually attempted to remove the 24-pin connector (in order to retry socketing it) but I couldn’t get it out because it was in so tight.

BTW, let’s assume that I have socketed the 24-pin connector incorrectly - what will happen when I turn the power on?

I've not felt the onboard USB connectors make a click on any system, I've used many block connectors on USB 2.0 and USB 3.x upward.

You cant plug the USB block connector incorrectly unless it wasnt keyed.
I havent come across a single connector that had no key so it appears to be a moot point, unless maybe you bought some real cheap stuff direct from China perhaps.
Stick with well reviewed parts or known good quality mfrs/suppliers and you will be fine.

Okay, thanks.

I actually attempted to remove the 24-pin connector (in order to retry socketing it) but I couldn’t get it out because it was in so tight.

BTW, let’s assume that I have socketed the 24-pin connector incorrectly - what will happen when I turn the power on?
You cannot connect it incorrectly for the reasons mentioned. You can however inserted it partially which will result in the system not powering up at all because there's no connection or powering up and eventually melting the connector because there's a very poor connection that can overheat. As long as the connector is fully seated in the socket, you've got nothing to worry about.

Back