Question about combining hard drives...

TSx

Gawd
This might be a really stupid question, as it shows how little I know about the subject. I've currently got two hard drives; a 20gig 7200rpm IBM and an 80gig 7200rpm maxtor. I think the IBM (which is 5? years old) might be going bad, as it has made a couple of 'click & restart' type noises over the past month or so. I currently have my OS on the aforementioned IBM drive. I'm going to format next weekend when I put several new pieces of hardware in. I like having the 80gig drive as a full size drive, as that's where I store the majority of my dvd and video editing in progress, which takes up a large amount of room. I have the 20gig drive partitioned to 8/12 right now, 8 being for my OS and 12 for general use. I don't want to put a bunch of stuff back on my 20gig drive if it's going to die in a month, but I don't want to partition the 80gig and lose a bunch of space.

My question is in regards to keeping the drives mapped together somehow. I don't know anything about raid at all really, or if it's only certain drives or what, but I know it lets you combine two drives so if one dies, you don't lose anything. If this isn't possible with my drives, is there any way to keep an 80gig partition, and split the remaining 20 for my os & general use, without putting all of the latter on the IBM drive? I just don't want to lose my os and have to deal with that if the drive fails.

i'd just keep your OS on the IBM drive, and if you must, keep a copy of the general use data on both drives.

running a RAID arry with a those 2 drives would probably be a pain in the ass, and not really worth it.

Back