Question about 2080tis

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
Regardless of the store I look at, the reviews of these cards are horrible. Everyone is saying they're DOA, they run too hot, they're unstable, etc.

Serious question: is there even a good 2080ti card on the market that's stable and doesn't run hot?

My first Zotac died, second card was Asus Strix and it's been good since December. I think most people who buy now should be ok. Just go through Amazon or someone with a good return policy (not Newegg).

First one I got was bad, causing crashing left and right. Did an RMA to Nvidia, and the replacement has been solid for several months.

Got my Strix around the end of November. Loving it. For the 1st month or so I was gentle. Didn't OC but I did quickly adjust the fan profile to keep it ~60c. Just not comfortable letting anything hit 70-80c and 62c seems to be the limit before the NV firmware dials it back to under 2000mhz. Pretty much have done the same since except now I keep it OC'd 2025-2130Mhz, 14300Ghz. It's been a champ. Totally stable.

The Strix cooling solutions work well but when the cards hit 80-100% usage temps will rise quick but the fans can keep up as long as you've got a case that can breathe well. I ended up making some changes to the fans in my case recently and everything is really happy now. Make sure your PSU is up to the task too. I'd recommend at least a 800 watt well made PSU, 850 seems to be the sweet spot for many. If you don't have the case/PSU details worked out then I wouldn't recommend this path. High performance needs to breathe and power.

First gen FE here and it's running like a champ for the last several months.

Sounds like a FE is the best option?

If you want a card that runs cool, no. Mine sit around 80c while gaming unless I ramp up the fan speed. At that point I can easily stay in the low 70s but at the cost of very loud fans.

If you want a card that runs cool, no. Mine sit around 80c while gaming unless I ramp up the fan speed. At that point I can easily stay in the low 70s but at the cost of very loud fans.

I don't find the FE fans to be very obnoxious compared to prior generations. Kind of a low tone. But noise is in the ear of the beholder.

Any ideas on what is the problem? So it can be looked at when buying and avoiding. Like certain types of designs or something.

Back