Queries for a New Case

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
So getting a new build is kinda exciting, but somehow the case seems like one of those love/hate things. Why?

1. I love a cool looking case, well, just because it looks cool and I love tech. Did I NEED as multi-colored lighted mech kb? No, but I go it anyways... I dont like the way it operates actually, f^%$s up my typing real good but I still use it LOL
  2. What is up with the deals on micro ATX cases these days? I am getting prob the 3060 12GB so not the largest card, but I dont think I want to get a micro and deal with stuff when I want to add extra HD's later even though they will be nvme or SSD at worst. I have a small space where putting a micro or mid pretty much wont make a difference
  3. I heard Lian Li quality going down? I still have mine from 2012, going strong, even the original fans! But if i were to choose among the 2500 cases out there now... ?
  4. Sometimes I just go to deal sites and look for a good deal on something, and if it is decent, I get it, makes life easy. But all the deals these days are on micro or lame or weird mid, so....
  5. Weight and other non-essential stats really dont matter for me either
So with all this,what is the best way for me to choose a case today? Or is there an actually proven list of like top 10 mid ATX cases today, etc? Right now I feel so lost, hardly know where to start.
Of course if any of you just got one in the last month and are really happy with it, I will be glad to check it out and get it myself.

For example, I think Fractal is supposed to be one of the leaders today in cool cases like this
https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-FD-CA-MESH-C-WT-TGC-Computer-Case/dp/B07BPP9KYD
but this only has 2 fans, which I am not a fan of... but the price looks great and overall the shape is nice and not too complex, etc....

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would probably say that most of your name brand cases(Corsair, Fractal, Lian Li, Phanteks, etc.) have about the same quality. Are any of the mainstream companies as good as Lian Li of old, not really, but there are still some boutique manufacturers out there that are, but you'll pay for it.

It's probably best to start you search based on the size of mobo you want. If you want to downsize some, but still want multiple PCI-E and m.2 mounting options then you could do a m-ATX mobo and find a smaller case to fit your needs. If you're sticking with an ATX mobo, then you can obviously go mid-tower or full-tower. The Fractal you linked is a compact mid-tower, aka slightly smaller than other cases specifically front to back, but you can still fit a ton of stuff in.

Newegg has a power search feature that allows you to pick the things that are important to you and narrow down your search. Want a spot for a optical drive? They have a filter for that. Want "X" number of internal 3.25" drives? They have a filter for that.

Awesome thanks!

I would probably say that most of your name brand cases(Corsair, Fractal, Lian Li, Phanteks, etc.) have about the same quality. Are any of the mainstream companies as good as Lian Li of old, not really, but there are still some boutique manufacturers out there that are, but you'll pay for it.

It's probably best to start you search based on the size of mobo you want. If you want to downsize some, but still want multiple PCI-E and m.2 mounting options then you could do a m-ATX mobo and find a smaller case to fit your needs. If you're sticking with an ATX mobo, then you can obviously go mid-tower or full-tower. The Fractal you linked is a compact mid-tower, aka slightly smaller than other cases specifically front to back, but you can still fit a ton of stuff in.

Newegg has a power search feature that allows you to pick the things that are important to you and narrow down your search. Want a spot for a optical drive? They have a filter for that. Want "X" number of internal 3.25" drives? They have a filter for that.

For search/find info ONLY, good...

For purchases, no so much :(

Haha i was thinking exactly... So I was going to search and then look elsewhere to buy... Besides Amazon any other suggestions? All I need is the case now and I am good to goooooooooo

For search/find info ONLY, good...

For purchases, no so much :(

Microcenter would be a place to look for cases in addition to Amazon or Newegg. I know that Bestbuy also has some computer componnents, but I don't know what they might have in the way of cases.

Microcenter would be a place to look for cases in addition to Amazon or Newegg. I know that Bestbuy also has some computer componnents, but I don't know what they might have in the way of cases.
MC is a good place to look, but ONLY if you have one near you, as they only offer shipping on a few select items, and you only get the best prices with in-store purchases...and BustBuy may have some cases, but they would be my absolute last resort, due to their staff's incompetence, slow shipping, and crappy return policies
Lian Li Lancool iii. imo the best case out there.
Best for WHO ? you, me, joe blow down the street or somewhere across the country ?

Yea they do make nice cases, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have the "BEST" cases for everyone's situation/usage scenarios :D

Example, years ago, I was performing an exhaustive search for the "BEST" case for a client's rig, who wanted the following:

A) Great build quality
B) Uber-expandability
C) Massive customization/cooling/overclocking/lighting potential
D) He wanted a case that his peers would marvel at

For this client, I determined that the TT900 Supertower fit his requirements perfectly, and proceeded with his build. He was absolutely floored, and paid me an extra $200 for my efforts.

Did LL have a case that would have worked ? probably on some aspects, but none that were the "BEST" fit IMHO 🤩

Last edited:
I did say in my opinion. For the majority of users.

good airflow, good size, able to fit decent water cooling, solid.

Back