Quality Brand vs Better Specs (DILEMA)

Mikey20

Gawd
Ok, so im about to upgrade from my Samsung SyncMaster 915N 19" LCD 8ms 1280x1024 screen to a Widescreen LCD, and it has come down to these two models. It is no secret that Samsung are leaders in LCD technology and displays in general, but the Sceptre model seems to have better specs as shown here.

1. Sceptre X20WG - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112006

2. Samsung 205BW - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001081

Similarities:
1. Wide screen
2. Under $300
3. 1680x1050 native resolution
4. 300 cd/m2 brightness
5. 16.2 million colors
6. 75 Hz refresh rate
7. DVI

Differences:
1. The sceptre has 1000:1 contrast ratio where as the samsung only is 700:1.
2. The sceptre has 5ms response rate where as the samsung has 6ms
3. The sceptre is 20.1" and the samsung is 20"
4. The sceptre doesn't include a DVI cable and the samsung does.

With all this taken under consideration I can't decide which one to go with. I will be playing allot of FPS games like battlefield 2 and half-life 2, as well as watch movies, and the internet. Im sort of leaning towards the Samsung reguardless of the specs but the 1000:1 contrast ratio on the sceptre makes it hard. I want the best image quality. Any help would be great.

Personally, I would go with the Samsung. The extra cost is nullified by the fact that it comes with a DVI cable and the other doesn't.

Then the specs...the refresh rate...pretty close to each other. The Sceptre is stating Gray to Gray at 5ms and the Samsung doesn't state if their 6ms is GTG or not. Either way, I would go with the Samsung.

Stop trusting specs altogether. The only thing you can trust at this point is that 16.2m colors is TN. 160 degree viewing angles is TN.

Read reviews.

The Viewsonic I linked above has this:

Viewing Angle 176°(H) / 176°(V)
Display Colors 16.7 Million

Am I better off with the viewsonic than the samsung since the viewsonic is not TN?

dont forget the samsung also has vertical height adjustment (which is awesome btw) and HDCP compliant,

I bought the samsung a week ago and i coudn't be happier...it really is a fantastic display.

Thanks for all your replies, I think I'm going with the Samsung after all. I will keep you guys updated on how that goes, and I'll give it a review.

I wouldn't worry about height adjustment. Nobody complained about CRTs not having it :p
IMO everyone should spring for a 16.7M model. I do own the VX2025WM too!

Back