Quality 2.1 Speakers

sativa

Limp Gawd
Is it me, or has the quality 2.1 desktop speaker market been stagnent for the past 2 two years? What are my options? I don't want to spend more than $150. I'd rather have more accurate results than massive bass.

specs: I have an nForce3 series motherboard w/ x-fi music card.

klipsch pro media 2.1's

i got them last week from bestbuy for 119.99 (instant rebate) and i absolutely love them ! its such a bummer to put on headphones at night :D

lemme know if you have any questions

Is it me, or has the quality 2.1 desktop speaker market been stagnent for the past 2 two years? What are my options? I don't want to spend more than $150. I'd rather have more accurate results than massive bass.

You sound like someone who'd prefer bookshelf vs. standard retail speakers. Probably want to ask an audiophile then...

Sounds like you might enjoy these

Your price range is a little low if you are REALLY looking for detail. I might recommend a pair of Polk RTi35i 6.5" bookshelves and a mini T amp to hold you over until you can afford a decent stereo receiver.

I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 210D's I'd sell you. The sub is a sealed enclosure so it's tight, but doesn't have that "massive bass".

I've got a Gigaworks S750 now but I miss the 210's sub occasionally.

Yep, sounds like you want to increase your price range. Personally, I really like the BB Insignias -- they are sort of a special case of cheap bookshelves that sound good. IMO, they totally destroy computer speakers. I'm not sure if they're still being sold, but they are some $50 + the price you need to pay for an amp/receiver. I intend to eventually (in no less than a year) upgrade to a 2.1 X-LS / X-Sub system at AV123...

Yep, sounds like you want to increase your price range. Personally, I really like the BB Insignias -- they are sort of a special case of cheap bookshelves that sound good. IMO, they totally destroy computer speakers. I'm not sure if they're still being sold, but they are some $50 + the price you need to pay for an amp/receiver. I intend to eventually (in no less than a year) upgrade to a 2.1 X-LS / X-Sub system at AV123...

I bought a set of Insignias for $38 because my roommate is an employee at Best Buy. IMO they cannot be beat for $38. HOWEVER, retail they are $80 or $90 if you dont catch them on sale. At this point they are in the Used Polk RT25i/35i range. Read Stereophile reviews on the RT25i. The Insignias have better low end extension (perhaps because they have front ports and are less affected by room placement and we all know on a desk isnt ideal) however the Polks blow them away in midrange and high.

That being said, if you can pick up the Insignias for <$50, go for it. If not hold out and spend a little more. There are tons of options for <$250 bookshelves (which I think is what you really want even though its more than your budget). Off the top of my head there are Polk RT25i/35i, Onix X-ref, used B&W 602 S3 (if you're lucky).

Search around and re-evaluate your budget. I think if you spend $150 you wont be happy and will waste $150. Save a little more and buy something you will truly enjoy.

Yeah I know next to nothing about what brands and models are good for small bookshelf speakers.

After I buy a TV I'm probably going to get some SVS luvin in my living room.

Well it'll be easier wiht a budget. You will probably not be happy with $150 spent. So, give us a new figure to work with. You can probably get a very nice solution for <$300 if you are willing to buy used/remanufactured/refurbished.

Back