Quake 4 1.1 Patch Just Released

JOKER_JOKER

Limp Gawd
The patch just came out today, and I'm pretty excited. Its improvements include "a fixed pure server system, a new AddonPak autodownloading system, voice chat in multiplayer, a forcemodel option, brightskins, smooth stair-jumping, a one-minute warning for tournament matches, Hyper-Threading Technology and Dual Core support as well as a ton of multiplayer specific fixes which have been requested by the community and discovered during our own gameplay. This update also includes four new professionally made multiplayer maps— free for your fragging pleasure. There are 2 new DM maps and 2 new CTF maps, including a CTF version of the popular "The Edge" map. In addition to these four maps, we've also included the free QUAKEMAS map pack that we released in December. Please see below for screenshots of the new maps."

I'm mainly just excited about the multiplayer voice chat and the new maps. Hopefully people will start playing Quake 4 Multiplayer again.

God, about f^&%$ing time.

I haven't touched this game in ages waiting for this patch :D

Practically NOBODY plays Q4A online.....

Q3A is still rocking along though, and a much better online game than Q4A IMO.

TheRapture said:
Practically NOBODY plays Q4A online.....

Q3A is still rocking along though, and a much better online game than Q4A IMO.
Their is no Arena in Quake 4, its simply Quake 4.

I had the time for only a quick test but it looked and felt much better. A good patch. And now there is that voice chat, too.

Activision sent over a press note announcing a recall of today's 1.1 patch for Quake IV. Here is the note from id Software:

Please take down your mirror for the Quake 4 1.1 beta and/or final. There is a problem with the widescreen functionality that may harm a user's monitor. We are working on a re-release and will make it available as soon as possible. Please advise your viewers that may be using the current 1.1 beta and/or final to NOT enable widescreen or disable widescreen if they are currently using it.

A kind request: If somebody has dealings with the creators of Quake 4, please ask them to add some female characters, too. Quake 3 had them. This way the (multiplayer) game could appeal more female players.

Raven did a good game with a very good engine, but unfortunately almost all of the servers, 500 - 1000, are empty for most of the time. Especially Finnish servers do not exist at all. This is sad.

Either the game has too high system requirements or the old "death match" and "capture the flag" modes are not enough for the gamers. If only they invented some new mode to lure more players...

Perhaps Quake Wars will be a big success, even it will surely require even higher PC hardware to run smoothly.

The biggest problem is that Q4 is really a seven year old game. There is very little difference, save graphics, between Q3 and Q4 multiplayer. It's really a testament to how good the original formula was at the time to see anyone playing the same thing at all today. If the modding community would embrace Q4 more, it might catch on.

I think another problem is net code and the latency on servers. No matter what server I join, I still get terrible lag. I've tried multiple rates and commands but nothing seems to work. I don't have this problem with any other game, not even Doom III. I don't know what's up.. It's sad, it could be fun, but there are some faults that make me turn away from it.

MemoryInAGarden said:
The biggest problem is that Q4 is really a seven year old game. There is very little difference, save graphics, between Q3 and Q4 multiplayer. It's really a testament to how good the original formula was at the time to see anyone playing the same thing at all today. If the modding community would embrace Q4 more, it might catch on.
CS is an old game and it completely annihilates the competition in terms of people playing it.

Xipher said:
Their is no Arena in Quake 4, its simply Quake 4.

Simple semantics, you know what I mean, that is, Q4 SUXXor5 for online play...period.

IMO, Quake is the greatest FPS series ever in terms of online play. No other game allows you to become so glued into it than quake. Though this is coming from me.. someone who has been playing since q1. Playing quake is pretty much 2nd nature to me. It's the only game I can hop on after months of not playing and completely dominate. I do play CS as well, but it just isn't the same. It's a half random game. Half the time you can play pretty well, the other half the time you get steamrolled game after game.

Anyhow, it saddens me that CS has such a huge following, and that quake is dead in comparison. While still a good game, CS is a joke compared to Quake in terms of the amount of skill that can be applied in playing it.

kaluminati said:
IMO, Quake is the greatest FPS series ever in terms of online play. No other game allows you to become so glued into it than quake. Though this is coming from me.. someone who has been playing since q1. Playing quake is pretty much 2nd nature to me. It's the only game I can hop on after months of not playing and completely dominate. I do play CS as well, but it just isn't the same. It's a half random game. Half the time you can play pretty well, the other half the time you get steamrolled game after game.

Anyhow, it saddens me that CS has such a huge following, and that quake is dead in comparison. While still a good game, CS is a joke compared to Quake in terms of the amount of skill that can be applied in playing it.

Quake 3 Arena is still a good game and still fairly popular. It's just that Quake 4 was a POS that was released purely as a cash grab, a copy paste uninspired joke that has a 50$ tag on it. If you look at the Gamespy server stats Quake 4 barely makes it on the top 40 games (even drops off at times) and even Quake 2 has more players playing then Quake 4.

Back