quad core or dual core tablet?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I can get the galaxy tab 10.1 for like $250. Its got dual core and I can ics on it. The quad core ones are $400 plus. Is it worth it for quad core for surfing the web checking email and watching movies YouTube etc?

I wouldn't spend $400+ on a tablet, at least for what I use mine for...ICS is a very smooth running OS and runs great even on single core phones a quad core seems like overkill to me...I'd save my money.

The only thing i'm after is the media playback capability. Which would rely more on a sub system of the GPU rather than the CPU.

Unfortunately, quite a few of the videos on my Archive (Particularly the new ones) tend to fall back to software mode, so dual core isn't going to cut it very soon. And according to the fellow video enthusiasts that already own quad core tablets, videos still stutter if they run into something the hardware decoder can't handle.

My Dual core can't handle the upcoming videos, but if the quad core (comes with better GPU) can't handle them either, what's the point? I'll be waiting for the next gen before upgrading, or atleast, the tablet that can play all my videos.

Not much other than that. Tablets really don't need much CPU power for what i'm using it for (Media Consumption), so a CPU upgrade isn't gonna entice me. Unless they come out with an ARM that can do 10bit 1080p in software mode.

How has ics. Been on dual core tablets? I have used it on the Toshiba excite quad core and its smooth as silk....

The decoding function isn't related to dual- or quad-cores functionality, but what's been coded into the hardware and the quality of the encoding. I've got a Transformer Prime that can handle everything I throw at it, but it still can't handle HW decoding on all files.

Regarding the # of cores, it hasn't mattered yet. Noone really codes for Tegra3 specifically just yet, but it matters here and there for a couple THD apps.

OK. So if I am surfing the web, checking emails watching You You videos or watching Netflixs then Dual would be just fine? I don't play games on the tablet just the above..

Dual should be more than fine. But the processor is the last consideration when it comes to tablets - most apps are designed to work on pre-Tegra/dual core processors. Other functionality can matter more - having a keyboard dock, full size USB ports, charging over microSD instead of a proprietary connector, 3G/4G/WiFi, GPS, battery life, display brightness, etc. the list goes on

Back