QoS with DNS?

rec0d3

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to do quality of service through DNS? Perhaps a service? If not, what is the best router to do this? I have Verizon FIOS and was looking at the nighthawk router by Netgear? Perhaps a Linksys router, I've always been fond of.

DNS can make a difference, but not in a QoS way. What resolver are you using? Your ISP?

I was under the impression that netflix's CDN uses an ASN that's broadcast out of every cache server they deploy, so it doesn't matter what IP you try to resolve it to, it's going to get routed to the closest distribution point in/near your ISP.

honestly if you have default VZ fios stuff id start with just buying a decent router first just to check if its not due to a tiny NAT table. on the newer sleeker looking routers those seem to be pretty spiffy, though they do not allow a lot of customization. If you really want to do good QoS i would recommend buying a router thats billed as "enterprise for home" which usually will have very good QoS. I use mikrotik (a little too advanced for a lot of people including me) which has like every option you could want. i am also on fios and found their default router to be shit though that was in the good old actiontech days

TPPuvu1t.png

Last edited:
DNS isn't your problem. Does Netflix run slow on your pc? What is your FIOS bandwidth? Do you have other devices using the internet at the same time? What is your current router? There is too many unknowns to help effectively.

and while netflix is a single UDP stream, origin alone when you open it will open like 91 connections outbound and can flood some small connection tables.

Back