QDDR3 on FX 5700 ultra?

LancerJay

Weaksauce
I currently own an eVGA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. After reading a review on the BFG fx 5700 ultra i noticed it says it supports ddr, ddr2, and qddr3. I know my card has ddr2, but i would like to know if i can swap the ram for qddr3. I've never seen it around anywhere and i was wondering where i could find it. Has anyone heard about the qddr3? It's advantages, more memory bandwidth? Costs? I think it would be awesome to put QDDR3 ram on my video card, the name of it is so intimidating :D DDR2 is already intimidating.

yeah if you could grab Qddr3 industry samples and somehow remove and re-solder the new 1337ddr3OMFGZZZ chip without screwing anything up you should be set!

hmm..sounds like it's pretty risky to try and remove the ram on it now and re-solder the new one eh?

hint: Its GDDR3
Question: Are you actually serious?

ok it turns out this idea is very far fetched by the way you guys are responding. i do not know anything about how difficult it is to remove and replace ram on a video card. nor do i know anything about qddr3. i'm guessing that it's either very expensive or very hard to find. well before i even guess that, is qddr3 even available?

as far as i know replacing the ram on a video card is impossible for a few reasons.
- i dunno how you would remove it in the first place. soldering could easily damage other parts of the board.
-gettin the new chips on is the same deal.
-you cant buy video ram, unless u go the the factory and like rob them or something.
-i dont think that the card can run on just whatever memory you decide to put on it.. if you somehow got it on there. Im not exactly sure about this part because i dont know anyone thats tried -for the same reasons that i jsut said.

On reviews for the 5700 ultra it says it supports QDDR3. Maybe i can try and have manufacturers do it for me then? Get a custom build card or something. Is it possible to get better DD2 memory then? QDDR3 seems out of the question now. And i don't think im' gonna try any of this stuff on my own.

No it's not possible in any way to get manufacturers to put new memory or different memory on your cards. The entire concept of replaceable and upgradeable memory was squashed many years ago, it's just not feasible and without special slots on your card like they did in the old days it's impossible

i still have a matrox millenium with the memory upgrade on.. its like 4mb or something :D

btw, when it says it supports qddr3 that means that future versions of the card might have qddr3.

Originally posted by Bodega
as far as i know replacing the ram on a video card is impossible for a few reasons.
- i dunno how you would remove it in the first place. soldering could easily damage other parts of the board.
-gettin the new chips on is the same deal.
-you cant buy video ram, unless u go the the factory and like rob them or something.
-i dont think that the card can run on just whatever memory you decide to put on it.. if you somehow got it on there. Im not exactly sure about this part because i dont know anyone thats tried -for the same reasons that i jsut said.

you would also have to re-program the bios on the video card and possibly make some PCB changes, trace lenghts, etc...

cause voltage and all sorts of other stuff would be different for each memory type

Originally posted by LancerJay
On reviews for the 5700 ultra it says it supports QDDR3. Maybe i can try and have manufacturers do it for me then? Get a custom build card or something. Is it possible to get better DD2 memory then? QDDR3 seems out of the question now. And i don't think im' gonna try any of this stuff on my own.

it means that the core, the GPU, supports that memory type

the end user cannot change the memory

that is up to the manufacturer of the video card

Back