Q9650 Price

Mchart

Supreme [H]ardness
I've currently got an E8400, and have no intentions on upgrading to i7 anytime soon - As even the E8400 has been more then enough for a gaming rig. However, i'd like to upgrade to quad core at some point. The Q9650 seems like the best option as it's the same as the E8400 but quad core.

That said, i've been watching the price on this thing for over a year now - And it just hasn't fallen. I figured it would got down to at least the $200 range when the i7 came out - But it literally stayed about the same price.

Will this thing *ever* come down in price in the retail market before it gets phased out?

Nah. With the Q9550 readily available for as little as $180, I'd forgo the .5x multiplier and $ave.

Q9550 is a better option as far as price vs. performance

I had a Q9550 and sold it and got a Q9650, and my Q9550 OC'd just as well.

no reason to drop $330 for a CPU when you can find one just as good for nearly $100 less

Thats just the thing - Even the Q9550 is still pretty expensive. It's still listed as $260 on newegg.

Thats cheaper then the Q9650 - But not nearly as cheap as I would expect something thats going to be EOL soon.

check FS/FT forums, I got my Q9450 for a decent 150 on this forum a few weeks ago

OCed it to 3ghz, and i'm set until my next major overhaul....

check FS/FT forums, I got my Q9450 for a decent 150 on this forum a few weeks ago

OCed it to 3ghz, and i'm set until my next major overhaul....

Thats my thing; I don't see the need to upgrade to i7 anytime soon as of right now. Considering I realistically don't even need to upgrade my E8400 yet - Going to Core2Quad will be more then enough to extend the current life of my system. (Which has lasted quite a while compared to other systems)

I got my Q9450 for a decent 150 on this forum a few weeks ago

Hmm. I think I should upgrade to i7 and sell my Q9550 + asus p5q pro + 6 GB of ram for more money than I paid for these in November of 2008.

Thats my thing; I don't see the need to upgrade to i7 anytime soon as of right now. Considering I realistically don't even need to upgrade my E8400 yet - Going to Core2Quad will be more then enough to extend the current life of my system. (Which has lasted quite a while compared to other systems)

just stick with your e8400 then... and upgrade a year or so from now....

by then, the socket 775 quads will be even cheaper second hand....

no need to really rush it...

Thats just the thing - Even the Q9550 is still pretty expensive. It's still listed as $260 on newegg.

Thats cheaper then the Q9650 - But not nearly as cheap as I would expect something thats going to be EOL soon.

Why would you assume the price would go down as something becomes EoL? As long as there is continued demand wouldn't something going EoL actually bring the price up?

Intel has no incentive to keep chips like the Q9550 cheap, it was already replaced in it's own price bracket by the cut-down Q9505 (half the cache) even before the they started replacing everything with i3/i5/i7.

I'm in the exact same spot. I can't believe the core2 quads haven't come down yet. I'm waiting for a good FS/FT to come along.

So, if anyone has a q9550 they want to get rid of...PM me. I'm also down for something less powerful, but I don't really want to get a q6600 or anything...as my e6750 is at 3.2 and kicking just fine. BC2 runs like complete dirt though.

The C2Q's will not be coming down in price.
Supply vs Demand.
The supply has ended completely, and the demand has not dropped off to match.

I'll probably be selling my Q9650 soon to upgrade to i7 930.

I'm in the exact same spot. I can't believe the core2 quads haven't come down yet. I'm waiting for a good FS/FT to come along.

So, if anyone has a q9550 they want to get rid of...PM me. I'm also down for something less powerful, but I don't really want to get a q6600 or anything...as my e6750 is at 3.2 and kicking just fine. BC2 runs like complete dirt though.

PM Vanilla Guerilla (look around for him). I bought a Q9550 off of him NIB for $175 maybe 6 months ago. He usually has some lying around.

Why would you assume the price would go down as something becomes EoL? As long as there is continued demand wouldn't something going EoL actually bring the price up?

Intel has no incentive to keep chips like the Q9550 cheap, it was already replaced in it's own price bracket by the cut-down Q9505 (half the cache) even before the they started replacing everything with i3/i5/i7.

True. I remember Socket 939 prices after AM2 was in full swing.. up, up, up.

I bought my Q9650 right after the price drop early last year for the $325 ish price it's going for now (I believe they were $500-600 beforehand).

Now it's just collecting dust :p. Need to sell that sucker before the demand goes down!

Just picked up a q9550 at microcenter for 179. Not bad. At least it will keep my current build in the game for a year or two.

I don't see the point of buying a chip (Q9550) when it's so close in price to an i5 750. After you sell your board and ram the upgrade to P55 wouldn't cost you much more.

I don't see the point of buying a chip (Q9550) when it's so close in price to an i5 750. After you sell your board and ram the upgrade to P55 wouldn't cost you much more.

I'm inclined to agree. With current price differences between DDR2 vs. DDR3 and the Q9550 vs. the i5 750, you'd only really lose money on the motherboard swap if anything. For myself it is a different case -- I'd have to shell out about $400 more for an Nehalem setup of the same size footprint.

simple. I don't feel like pulling apart my system again to get an incremental increase in speed. I don't encode video. Basically, I game, and do some graphics work. So, I'm going to go the easiest, cheapest route that requires the least amount of effort. I know, it's oft of me, whatever whatever.

simple. I don't feel like pulling apart my system again to get an incremental increase in speed. I don't encode video. Basically, I game, and do some graphics work. So, I'm going to go the easiest, cheapest route that requires the least amount of effort. I know, it's oft of me, whatever whatever.

And the hassle of selling all the gear. I mean, realistically, in my case, what am I going to gain by tearing everything apart and selling what I have for a i5 750? I'm going to be $50-100 poorer and probably wouldn't notice any difference.

exactly. and, chances are, with my selling prowess, I wouldn't make my money back either.

And the hassle of selling all the gear. I mean, realistically, in my case, what am I going to gain by tearing everything apart and selling what I have for a i5 750? I'm going to be $50-100 poorer and probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Due to the memory bandwith which you can't measure it's effects in games with sheer fps I would say that it's well worth it just for a smoother gaming experience. Never mind the fact that i5 750 is quite a bit faster than Yorkfield clock for clock.

For the OP it wold roughly cost him the same in the end.

In my/our case I would agree with you. I have considered replacing my setup with a 750 but figured that it's just not worth it. My rig has been dead stable for almost a year now and I don't even remember the last time that I have even peeked in the bios. I just don't think that it's worth the money plus headaches of learning a new architecture. I'm going to wait for sandy bridge (hopefully) to upgrade.

Well I see that he ended up picking up a 9550, so good luck with it since it is a solid chip.

My reasons to consider selling my Q9550 + ASUS P5Q Pro + 6GB of DDR2 to move to a i7 920 is for two reasons. 1 is HT the second is for the improved virtualization hw specifically nested paging. Comparing my i7 860 at work to my Q9550 at home smp virtualization is significantly better with the i7. Both of these reasons have to do with my day job. I write applications for medical imaging research.

My reasons to consider selling my Q9550 + ASUS P5Q Pro + 6GB of DDR2 to move to a i7 920 is for two reasons. 1 is HT the second is for the improved virtualization hw specifically nested paging. Comparing my i7 860 at work to my Q9550 at home smp virtualization is significantly better with the i7. Both of these reasons have to do with my day job. I write applications for medical imaging research.

I'm all for upgrading if you legitimately have a need to upgrade...don't get me wrong. Personally, I just don't have a need to upgrade as oft as that sounds.

My buddy just upgraded from a 8400 @ 4.0 to a 9550 that was 169 @ MC. He is happy with the upgrade. He only had 200 to spend on his toy, so for some its a good option. Let me rephrase that, his wife allowed him 200 to spend on the pc lol...

I'm all for upgrading if you legitimately have a need to upgrade...don't get me wrong. Personally, I just don't have a need to upgrade as oft as that sounds.

I could use the upgrade. However I would not consider it at this time if the pricing situation was differently. I paid around $350 for the Q9550 + ASUS P5Q Pro + 6GB of qulity DDR2 memory in November of 2008. Selling these used today I would most likely get back at least 80% of what I paid.

Back