Q9550...can't go over 3200Mhz...

ajkates

Weaksauce
My rig is in my signature below. The best I can do is a 376FSB, 8.5x, 1100Mhz RAM...Even if I raise the voltage to 1.5v it's unstable. I've tried over/underclocking the RAM, lowering the mutli, raising the voltage, but to no avail on my P5Q Pro.

I'm new to overclocking, but I've seen several CPU-Z screenshots with clocks of 3.6+ under 1.4v, and people say they can get 3.4Ghz on stock volts.

To make matters worse, I have a ton of breathing room heat-wise. All four cores idle in the mid 30's. Did I just get a bad chip? What might be the problem?

Have you tried raising the voltage on your northbridge?
Often you'll need to since it puts more stress on the motherboard northbridge with fast ram and a high CPU clock. A slight increase would do. Try +0.05 V and go from there. If you can't get anything stable still after increasing about .1-.2 then I also suggest you check your GTL references.

Will try that, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

it may be an overclocking black hole where it just doesn't want to run. try increasing the clock speed to 3.4 or 3.6 and crank up the northbridge voltage a bit as well. my Q6600 doesn't like running at 2.8, but runs at 3.6 at 1.28v and 3.8 at 1.34

weird, but the same thing might be happening with you.

Back