Q6600 over temps, how bad is it?

Claw5

Limp Gawd
Just installed a Q6600 and seeing how far it can go.
Set it at 3.1 GHZ at stock (1.30) voltage and it seemed stable.
Started Orthos and went to bed.
Stupid.
Had fan control enabled in bios.
Stupid again.
Long story short, woke up this morning and heard fans at full speed, Core Temp read 98C on all four cores!:eek:
Checked the temp log and it was like that for approx. 6 hours.
Apparently it did not shut down and did not error out of Orthos.
Should I expect this chip to die anytime soon?:confused:

It's definately something to pay close attention to. The Tjunction (or something like that) limit is 100 degrees. I think you need better cooling and/or reseat your heatsink.

That's running well over Intel's thermal specification, which is 72C Tcase for a G0 (somewhere around 82C max cores). I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU had throttled but obviously it didn't trip.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with having the fan control enabled - as you say, the fans were on max, so it didn't mean that they were too low so the CPU overheated - but for such high temperatures I'd wonder if the heatsink is even seated properly (and you did use thermal paste, if the heatsink didn't come with it applied?). 1.30V is high for Q6600 stock voltages, though I suppose you might just have a high-VID one, and it shouldn't mean it overheats like that anyway.

Your Q6600 should not 'die' anytime soon.

For one thing, if your chip was running at 98'C, it almost certainly was throttled (PROCHOT# assertion) back to nominal speeds to prevent damage. Also, if the chip was in danger of overcooking itself then your system would have shut down, since the CPU would force a shutdown if you are another 10-15 C past PROCHOT# assertion according to documentation i read somewhere.

Edit: On a side note ..fix your HSF!

I thought it might be a heat sink issue, hell I even double checked to make sure the fan was blowing the right way.
Even thought that it might be because I used some AS5 that I got about a year ago.
I dropped the voltage down a notch to 1.2875, which is as low as my bios allows.
Have been running Prime for about an hour and the temps are betwwen 50-51C.
That little bit of voltage seems to have made a big difference.

You can find out the VID of your chip by using CoreTemp (the latest one works in Vista x64 - yah!!). Otherwise glad to see you got the temps down to a safe level. Now theres no need to burn-in your chip, since you've already accomplished that! he-he

commodore-
I was wondering about the system shut down feature, just thought it would do so at a lower threshold.
The heatsink is an SI-128SE- maybe I'll try re-seating it, maybe with different themal paste.

Back